OLD CAMERA to DIGITAL CONVERSION

gtsberg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Anybody seen any articles on converting an old camera to digital? I have shot with the beloved Holga for years, and was interested in converting one of these cameras to digital. I'm going to have to find a cheap digital camera to convert, and take it apart I guess. Should be easy to do, but what mods will I have to make to the Holga? Get out the black tape, dremel, microsaws and cardboard! Since my Canon Powershot is shot, maybe I'll use that as an experimentation camera to start.

Haven't seen any articles as a conversion of that type really isn't that simple. If it was everyone would be doing it.

Here is one solution I guess, at quite a price however.

http://www.phaseone.com/camera/

I've seen a conversion of a body cap for a Canon DSLR to take a Holga lens. Holga on a Canon 20D on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (I think there are instructions on how to do it out there somewhere.) I think that's as close as you're likely to get.

I've never seen a Holga modified to take digital camera parts -- feel free to give it a shot, but my sense is that it's not likely to work. (Though, if it does, I'd love to hear about it.)

your powershot has a sensor more the size of your pinky fingernail. The Holga is made for a 6cmx6cm "sensor" area. You will lose everything that made it a holga even if you manage to make it work. It will turn into quite a crappy telephoto lens rather than a wide normal lens.

When I read this question, all I could think of was the Simpson's episode where they go to the Itchy and Scratchy Park and Marge sees circuit boards in one of the mechanized Scratchy robots and says to Homer: "See Homer? That's why you're robots never worked. They have wires and circuits inside"

I tried to find a good jpg of the scene, but failed.

Yes... Your point? It didn't give me very exciting results with the 40D sensor and it didn't improve much on the 5D or 1N. The OP was talking about using something even smaller than the 40D. I think I had slightly more reason to expect some kind of results from the 1N/5D.

I thought the end result you had was pretty good. It certainly has the Holga type of mood there in BW mode.

In theory, it seems simple. Instead of a film slide, put a digital sensor in there and wire it to some kind of storage device. However, I have never heard anyone speak a word about converting a film camera to digital, let alone actually doing it.

I thought the end result you had was pretty good. It certainly has the Holga type of mood there in BW mode.

Really? I didn't like it at all in the long run. Wide FOF, no vignetting and not a square format. It would take post processing to get the mood right and it would lose it's random quality. I even hoped wide wide aperture would make the vignetting worse, but it still wasn't enough for the small format. Ugh. I put too much time into that thing! lol.

I've seen a conversion of a body cap for a Canon DSLR to take a Holga lens. Holga on a Canon 20D on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (I think there are instructions on how to do it out there somewhere.) I think that's as close as you're likely to get.

I've never seen a Holga modified to take digital camera parts -- feel free to give it a shot, but my sense is that it's not likely to work. (Though, if it does, I'd love to hear about it.)

i have one of those from holga

Most reactions

Back