old cameras as an investment?

yellow ant

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Is it worth buying old cameras as an investment?

You can get them cheap at the moment, especially in auctions but is it only worth investing in the high end models and will it take to long for them to become valuable?

Other than pretty pricey cameras like Hassey's and Leicas and a few other collectibles, there's not much value in old cameras, which for the most part are dropping in value over time, not rising.

Even for the ones that may rise over time, I'm not seeing them rise much nor very quickly. I can't even say for sure that they'll keep pace with inflation, so if in 50 years you can get $1500 for something you buy for $1000 today, that $1500 may only be worth $900 in today's dollars.

Yep, if you know which ones to buy. That's the tricky part. Rare is usually a good feature. For example this should increase in value:

leica-swedish-army.jpg

And this should decrease in value:

CanonAE1claudio2.jpg

Joe

Generally, no.

Even the ones that increase in value don't increase fast enough to keep up with a decent index fund. Generally.

Collectibles are all this way. High risk and low return. That's the opposite of an investment.

I love old cameras, but most don't have much value. You'd probably have to do some research to find out what might be worth collecting (like Leica rangefinders).

I agree it seems to be that way with antiques and collectibles in general, value may or may not go up over time.

I think the only way you'd really make any money from the old cameras is if you learn how to restore and flip them. And yes, it depends on what you restore/collect. Some cameras will always carry a premium, but you have to know what they are.

Joe, I think you're too harsh on that AE-1. In a couple thousand years, a collector would pay quite a price for that AE-1. :)

Let's say you bought a Leica M3 setup in 1955 for about $500 (roughly what a camera and lens would have cost you then). If we assume a very conservative 5% interest rate over the next 60 years, until today, that camera needs to be worth almost $10,000 to make up with simply putting that money in a savings account, CDs, or some similar reasonable investment.

If you'd put it in the stock market and managed it carefully but conservatively, the camera needs to be worth nearly $30,000 to hold steady with the money.

And that's one of the very best choices you could have made in terms of investing in a collectible item.

Joe, I think you're too harsh on that AE-1. In a couple thousand years, a collector would pay quite a price for that AE-1. :)

OK, but I think you'd need to start grinding up a few thousand a year starting right now so by then you could have raised up the "rarity" factor -- hmmm maybe a few thousand a month.

Joe

Well if you bought new gear before the recession then most of the lenses went UP in value significantly so. I sold the 70-200mm f2.8 IS that I bought pre-recession for the same price I bought it for after (lenses were, in fact, one of the BEST things you could have bought).

As for old film stuff; eh some of it might well become very popular and valuable. Mass produced products oft fall out of favour really fast and get dumped/crushed/smashed up quick too. So what you end up with in a few generations is very little left. You can thus see a recovery of the market in the future for vintage and in the VERY distant future as well (just look at those old cars that are now collectables - even reliant robbins!)

The thing its is a gamble - you won't know what will and won't climb and what will and won't crash. You also don't have any idea when - it could be in 5 years - 50 years or 100 years. Now if you've got a spare room/garage/barn/lockup you could deck it out to store camera gear long term in good condition and "invest" into it.

Just remember its going to be the kind of thing your kids will profit from if anyone will (most likely)

Just use them and take pictures like they were meant to do

Depends, I mean I have an old A1 that was signed by George Washington which is worth quite a bit. Not as much as my old Nikon that was signed by Jesus.

That's nothing compare to the Leica I used to take a picture of Jesus and the Nikonos that Noah used on the Ark

I think the only way you'd really make any money from the old cameras is if you learn how to restore and flip them. And yes, it depends on what you restore/collect. Some cameras will always carry a premium, but you have to know what they are.

... and even then you still don't make much money ... take it from me, I know.

The only way to make money from vintage cameras is to get a hold of them from the source ... and you have to know (at the time) that it is worth something to somebody.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back