Old, Faded Waterfall Scan...

LarryD

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I took this photo over 30 years ago along the Pacific Coast Highway.... Probably in the Oregon area..

Marc's Multnomah Falls shot reminded me that I have been trying to identify this photo so I could plan a trip back to the area and re-take the shot with modern equipment

The banks and bridge look similar, but the angle is different......and it is below a viewing platform. The writing on the back was also damaged beyond recovery. Anybody recognize this Waterfall ??

Oregon1.jpg

So Ive never been there but I looked at both photos in photoshop, did an overlay, looked some more...

There are a few things that match and don't match,

The bridges are practically identical in both photos but could just be by the same designer I suppose.

However, something that does not match is the waterfall in the background. The background waterfall in Marc's shot is far to the right from where yours is. And the angle on the supports of the bridge in his shots suggest that he took his shot just to the left or in the same spot you took yours. Either way the difference in location of the waterfall does not match up between photos. However I noticed in his shots there is a white streak that could suggest that there was a waterfall where your shot shows a waterfall. So perhaps over the past 30 years the fall has shifted.

Finally the cliffs to the side of the lower waterfall don't match texture wise but I doubt they would after 30 years, but the lower inward bevel could be the about the same.

Again, Ive never been there and I was just kinda bored tonight so I thought I would take a stab at comparing them! But I think it could be the same waterfall.

It is a dulicate of Multnomah Falls. Member Invisble also took some great photos earlier here

In these photos you can see the base is also identical.

Larry,

I would have to agree that you did indeed capture Multnomah in that frame - before they built up the newer. wider visitor patio area.

Here are two more crappy frames that show show the rock formations and bridge details that match yours, convincing me that it is the same fall. (Got more? I love the old stuff!)

Marc

3458web.jpg

3461web.jpg

Thanks for all the input.. I believe that it is indeed Multnomah..

Marc, I probably do have other shots... I shot mostly in slides back then (the '70s) and have literally thousands of them to go through..

This one was an 11X14 print taken from transparency and was hanging on my wall for years when a broken water pipe showered down on the wall.... Had my own Falls of sorts...........:lol:

It does look like they have made a better scenic area around Multnomah, and a trip up the Coast Highway is definitely now on my agenda.......

....... I shot mostly in slides back then (the '70s) and have literally thousands of them to go through..

Yep, me too. Started shooting seriously in '67-'68. Having a best friend who's father owned the local Pro camera shop was kinda handy.......

We lost our house to a fire in 1997 and my slides, negatives and a few hundred prints are about the only thing that were saved - thanks to the fact that the first fire crew to arrive was lead by a Captain who is also a photographer.

Marc

Most reactions

New Topics

Back