Old Lady Restored

Heidi Rosser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just wanted to share this story.
This old lady which turned out to be a Graflex R B Super D (1941-1963) was found in a storage locker under a pile of old rags. It was estimated by the seller that it had been there for over 50 years; it belonged to a grandparent!
I have to say I have never come across such a dirty camera, even touching it left my hands covers in dirt. After several hours of cleaning I was able to see this lovely camera.
I was also surprised to that it still works. Hearing that shutter clunk was music to my ears.
Featured here with a Graflex Series B.

IMG_20190922_173157_010_edited-2.jpg

Just wanted to share this story of breathing new life into something that had been lost and forgotten.

Nice, I have few Graflex cameras, Speed, Crown and Super Graphic (which I use quite regularly). I also have a postcard size Compact Graflex which is awaiting restoration.

Ian

Can you imagine using such a beast of a camera to cover Major League Baseball? A couple of years ago I read a story about a particularly famous New York Yankees action photo made during a game, using such a huge Graflex. The press photographers used to custer near first base or third base , and would use huge, long telephoto lenses for outfield shots.

Last edited:
Beautiful.

There are a series of silent movies/shorts called 'The Boy Friends' I think (and of course I always notice the cameras!) and one of the young women was bopping along with a camera like this like it was a Polaroid Swinger! They seemed to think these were 'portable'!

Derrel there were two Toronto Maple Leafs photographers (brothers), the Turofskys, and one of them would hop over the boards with a Speed Graphic press camera (or similar). That'd be fun way to photograph hockey!!

Most reactions

Back