Old lens accessories with Nikon D40?

TamiyaGuy

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently was given a 52mm reversing adapter for my Nikon D40. The thing is, it's for the old AI lens types. So I was wondering: Will this work fully with my Nikon D40? It won't work with the starter lens, I know, but I also have a Nikon AI 50mm F1.8 lens that it will work with.

I guess what I really want to be sure of is if it won't damage the body. It scrapes a bit when I put it on, but I'm sure a bit of grease will fix that.

Thanks!
25zjeja.jpg

Also, I've noticed a little screw sticking out of the adapter. Will this affect anything?

2mgp8ye.jpg

It will mount but you don't get any metering. If it is autofocus (is it?) the D40 won't drive it.

I've also gotta point out that your 50mm and 18-55mm lenses are quite respectable...definitely not crap.

Considering its a reversing ring, AF is out of the question. And any lens on the market that is not AF-S will not auto-focus. To my understanding any lens without a chip in it will not meter.

As far as it grinding a bit, I would not personally put grease anywhere near my camera mount (the electric contacts and whatnot are right there). Unless its binding up, I would leave it alone, or possibly file it down a bit.

You use the reversing ring with a 50mm prime as a "poor man's" way of doing some macro photography without an actual macro lens. You have no metering and no autofocus obviously, and you focus by moving closer or further from the subject. Exposure is via random guess, and you have to manually control the aperture of the lens. I got one of these (BR-2A) just to play with it, but haven't picked it up again since realizing what a PITA it is.

Most reactions

Back