old lenses on Pentax DSLR

dportal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all
I'm planning on buying a K100D pentax and use my couple of pentax lenses that I have and used on a 35mm pentax body. I bought those lenses back in 2001, so although they are not DSLR lenses, they are not old.
I was told that I could use them, but without autofocus. A friend of mine has the exact same camera K100D, and claims that she can use her old lenses WITH AF perfectly. Is this correct/possible? Do some lenses actually work in DSLR with AF?
Thank you very much
dp

You can certainly use your old(er) lenses in manual focus. I don't have any old AF lenses to try. All of my older ones are MF only. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't be able to use AF. They haven't changed the mount.

Hi all
I'm planning on buying a K100D pentax and use my couple of pentax lenses that I have and used on a 35mm pentax body. I bought those lenses back in 2001, so although they are not DSLR lenses, they are not old.
I was told that I could use them, but without autofocus. A friend of mine has the exact same camera K100D, and claims that she can use her old lenses WITH AF perfectly. Is this correct/possible? Do some lenses actually work in DSLR with AF?
Thank you very much
dp

If you bought them new in 2001, I'd expect them to work with AF, no worries. I Used one of Dads Sigma lenses from early 90s without any problems.

Take your lenses to your friends place and try them - That would give a definitive answer....

thanks. I can't go try them at her place bc I'm in Boston and she is in Brisbane, though what a great excuse to travel, huh? I try the Best Buy next to my house, but they don't have any Pentax...
If my lenses can autofocus in the K100D, then I will save some bucks! (I "mostly" shoot in AF for now

Are there any "6th Ave" stores in your area? They carry pentax DSLRs that you can try out.

Edit:
Ah never mind.... just realized form their web site that they are NJ and NY only.

You could always take the lenses down to a store and test them out on the K100D. And even if they don't AF, it would still be worth buying into the Pentax DSLR system as you can still use them in MF.

I use a few lenses from a K1000 (1976) on my K10D and they work fine. No auto focus for me though.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back