Old Minolta

Tony289

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I am being gifted an old black and white Minolta camera that was built by my grandpa back in the Korea war era, unfortunately I don't have it in my hands yet and that is all I know about it, can anybody help me out with it? I'm completely new to photography and stuff and all I know is how to work my phone camera, if yall could help I would appreciate it.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
what is it that you want to know? It is a camera where you´ll have to use film with. It is not actually black and white, you can also use color film.
I just did a short reading. The first SLR made by Minolta was 1958. So it is probably a rangefinder camera, or something similar.

I would expect it is a rangefinder camera. My grandmother used Minolta rangefinders starting in the '50's and always stayed with a rangefinder.

I would look for a users manual for one of the 1950's model Minolta rangefinder cameras, or any 1950's camera. These usually had good information on the how to set the film speed, shutter speed and aperture on the camera.

The camera may come with some colored filters. It was very common to use a yellow filter with black and white film.

You will want a light meter, you can use an app on your phone and it may work better than on old handheld meter that may arrive in the bag with the camera.

It should be a very nice camera to use, but it also might require a CLA (clean, lubricate and adjust) by a shop to have it woking like new.

If you want a manual, try the Butkus site (minolta camera instruction manual) - he has manuals for very many old cameras. Minolta cameras are excellent.

A Japanese camera that old will very likely need the light seals replacing - these are around the edges of the back when the back is open and may well be sticky black goo.

Last edited:
So I am being gifted an old black and white Minolta camera that was built by my grandpa back in the Korea war era, unfortunately I don't have it in my hands yet and that is all I know about it, can anybody help me out with it? I'm completely new to photography and stuff and all I know is how to work my phone camera, if yall could help I would appreciate it.

Your grandfather built it? He worked for Minolta then?

Minolta made many cameras. When you receive it let us know which model and I'm sure we can offer some help.

You know how to operate a cell phone camera then any camera is easy.

Most reactions

Back