old newbie needs some info on photos for reproduction (prints)

mick560

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hi, i used to study photography at art school, many, many, years ago, had great fun in the darkroom with the girls but didn't learn much apart from developing and printing in black and white, i am currently in the process of trying to reproduce some of my paintings on block canvases to try to sell as limited editions, i still don't know a lot about photography but understand the basics in digital, i bought a nikon d3300 and wanted to experiment with macro so bought a nikon 105 mm 2.8 lens, i had heard it could take very sharp photos and was also good for portraiture, i was hoping that it might get me some good quality images for reproduction. my paintings are 3 foot by 2 foot but found that i had to be about 12 foot away from the painting to even get the picture in, anyway the quality is pretty good but i really need the photos to be much sharper to be able to reproduce them onto canvas prints. i would be very grateful for any help at all, thanks, mick.

post an example.
shooting on tripod with f stop in the 5.6 range using timer to dampen movement, this should give good results.
canvas is actually less exacting than paper for prints.

post an example.
shooting on tripod with f stop in the 5.6 range using timer to dampen movement, this should give good results.
canvas is actually less exacting than paper for prints.
many thanks for the help, i have been getting pretty good results using tripod and experimenting on manual with shorter shutter speeds and closing down the lens, i am just wondering if my equipment is good enough for decent reproduction in print ? or do i need a professional photographer ?

I totally know zippo about the 3300 but certainly whether it can produce a fine enough image is related to the size of the output you want.

Depending on the number of images you want to reproduce a high end result can be gotten with scanning - have a look at Fine Art Scanning and Gicl e Printing Creekside Digital

thanks again i will check this out, looks good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back