Old Nikon 35mm's

Forgot to mention that I got my N70 on keh.com in bargain condition (looks excellent and functions like new, as far as i can tell) for 22 USD shipped. It is very close in behavior to a dSLR but the menu system is different from most other slrs (took me no time to figure out though).

Edit: N70 doesn't have DOF preview (though you can manually preview it by loosening the lens) - F90 might fit the bill if you want a newer film slr.

All AF lenses are also AI lenses, so...
No, not anymore. AF G type lenses are not AI by default due to a complete lack of an aperture ring and by extension a lack of AI notch. This is exactly why I refuse to buy them.
AF / AF-S D type lenses are backwards compatible of course.

I don't own a Nikkormat but I assume it would be a downright pain in the rear having to compensate your shutterspeed for your aperture metering. Where as the FE and co are fully compatible with all post AI lenses that have a AI notch.

Oops! My bad, I meant the FG, not the FE.

Say, while we're on this topic, is it possible to use a remote shutter release for the FE/FM? What is the model number? Or is it standardized thing with manual cameras?

The FE at the least has an old standard screw mount cable release for the actual shutter button. I imagine the FM is the same. Heck even the D100 has one :)

No, not anymore. AF G type lenses are not AI by default due to a complete lack of an aperture ring and by extension a lack of AI notch.
AI refers to automatically setting the aperture on mounting (which G lenses certainly do). G lenses refer to the presence or lack of an aperture ring. Indeed, G lenses don't work well on older film bodies that don't "know" how to set the aperture or don't have the aperture coupling prong, but they are still AI lenses.

Last edited:
I personally am a BIG fan of the F3. IMHO ( did he really say humble? ) the F3 is the best 35mm Nikon ever made and are very reasonable in price these days. Other MF bodies I like are the FA and FM. The FA had the first matrix meter that was the prototype for the F4. The FM is a smallish but rugged totally manual camera with a all mechanical shutter. It will fire without batteries. The meter obviously still needs a battery. If you want a real heavy duty brick for little money and use a hand held meter, the old Nikkormat line is hard to beat. You almost can use the body to drive 16 penny nails and still photograph the results of your carpentry skills. I have and shoot all of these cameras and all will provide a high level of satisfaction.

Good luck, and don't forget to let us know what you decide.

The FA had the first matrix meter that was the prototype for the F4
I was reading KR's review of the FA yesterday. Something that is worth pointing out is that it is the only manual film body that gives you full matrix metering with manual non-CPU lenses.

Have not made a decision yet. You all gave me way too much to think about! I was just going to make this simple but now im alllll kinds of curious about what new toy i can get. Ill let you know when i make my decision. Thanks again.

I have access to my dad's Nikon F2a. A real tank and it pumps out some nice pics. We recently "modernized" it by adding a Nikon hotshoe adapter to it and slapping a Cactus V2s trigger on top of it... looks unusual but we set a few eyebrows a wagging when my dad started triggering my speedlights with it... lol

Thing is... buying film and getting it processed is a process that you continue to pay for, so be ready for that.

well after a lot of searching i found an excellent deal on a decent N80. Local shop allowed me to shoot some photos on it and showed me the developed shots. Never had service like that. Waste of film haha. Anyway im getting it and thinking of throwing a 50mm on it or a nice all around lens. Its plastic but i think it will hold up for its intended use. Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Anyone know if the sb600 is compatible with an N80? Or do i have to look into an older flash unit?

Thanks again.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back