Old Nikon Lenses

MiningGold

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, new here, thanks for having me. Long story short I'm a point and shoot kind of guy, but I want to change. My grandma gave me a few of her old lenses and couldn't tell me much about them. Had a couple questions about them. Are the 3 lenses worth basing my new DSLR purchase on? Also, which of the digitals Nikons will work best with these? I don't know much about this stuff, but think I read somewhere that metering wont work with them. Is this true and is this a big deal if it doesn't? Sure appreciate your help. $IMG_1689[1].JPG$IMG_1683[1].JPG$IMG_1684[1].JPG

Hey all, new here, thanks for having me. Long story short I'm a point and shoot kind of guy, but I want to change. My grandma gave me a few of her old lenses and couldn't tell me much about them. Had a couple questions about them. Are the 3 lenses worth basing my new DSLR purchase on? Also, which of the digitals Nikons will work best with these? I don't know much about this stuff, but think I read somewhere that metering wont work with them. Is this true and is this a big deal if it doesn't? Sure appreciate your help. View attachment 54428View attachment 54426View attachment 54427

Any Nikon DSLR body that can meter with Ai/AiS lenses. Keep in mind the the 1.5X crop factor for APS-C sensor cameras, i.e., 28mm=42mm.

Have a look here:

http://www.nikonians.org/reviews?alias=nikon-slr-camera-and-lens-compatibility

Grandma must like you. The lenses will mount but will only work in manual unless you have them "chipped". It is a good way to learn manual shooting.

As far as metering you lose matrix leaving you with center weighted and spot. Center weighted is OK for most shooting. DSLR bodies have a rangefinder function that helps you focus manual lenses.

The series E 28MM is definitely an AI S lens. Not sure about the other 2. The 105 has been made in AI S and non AI S versions. It's also one of Nikon's best lenses. If you want to unload it PM me. :D The 35-105 came in a couple versions too.

If you're curious about compatibility read this too. Enjoy them they are good lenses.

I assume you are talking about Nikon vs. Canon vs. whatever?

Do you have any reason to go with another camera system? Because 3 lenses is a pretty compelling reason to go with the Nikon.

The 105mm f/2.5 is the newest version, the Ai-S model with built-in sliding lens hood. I own two examples of that lens--it is a terrific lens. One of the finest-handling manual focus lenses Nikon ever made. The 28/2.8 Series E is okay. I never owned the 35-105, but did own the 35-135. There are some good lens compatibility charts, like the one Ken Rockwell has online.

Do you have any reason to go with another camera system? Because 3 lenses is a pretty compelling reason to go with the Nikon.

All apologies, should have clarified. If they were junk lenses I wouldn't have wanted to feel like I had to get a Nikon. Also, I don't think I've ever taken a photo indoors and mostly shoot landscapes and wildlife. Will these suit my needs? Granny only ever took photos of us kids all lined up.

As far as metering you lose matrix leaving you with center weighted and spot. Center weighted is OK for most shooting. DSLR bodies have a rangefinder function that helps you focus manual lenses.

Some Nikon bodies can use matrix metering with non-cpu lenses. My D200's did and so does my D700. My D70 does not, others might and some might not. Spec sheets of specific models should say.

All apologies, should have clarified. If they were junk lenses I wouldn't have wanted to feel like I had to get a Nikon. Also, I don't think I've ever taken a photo indoors and mostly shoot landscapes and wildlife. Will these suit my needs? Granny only ever took photos of us kids all lined up.

manual focus on landscapes should be no problem. the most accurate way to focus is to use the Live View function on your camera (you can see it on the LCD screen instead of through the viewfinder), zoom in and then you can focus it exactly where you want it. also as far as the light metering and all that goes, since you are taking digital photographs you can just go by the trial and error method. if it's too dark, lengthen shutter speed, widen the aperture, or increase ISO and try again until you get it how you want it.

The 105mm lens would be the one you'd be most likely to use for wildlife. It is faster than your 35-105, and you will find this handy when it comes to a moving subject, especially if it is not in direct sunlight. Practice on friends, family, pets, squirrels, birds in the backyard, etc. so that you know what you're doing when you do have the opportunity for some great wildlife shots. I'm not sure that you'll be totally satisfied with this lens for wildlife though, it is a little on the short side and you'll probably come to want the option to autofocus. I saw in another thread that you are planning to get an 18-55 with your camera body. Since you have the 28-105mm range fairly well covered and a nice lens for wildlife is your weakest link, maybe it would make more sense to get the 70-300 VR instead? Just something to think about ...

"the most accurate way to focus is to use the Live View function on your camera (you can see it on the LCD screen instead of through the viewfinder), zoom in and then you can focus it exactly where you want it."

I so did not know you could do that!

You can learn all sorts of good stuff here. This is a good tip but sometimes using live view is not the best way to go. If you use both live view and viewfinder you will pretty soon figure out for yourself which is better when and for what.

"the most accurate way to focus is to use the Live View function on your camera (you can see it on the LCD screen instead of through the viewfinder), zoom in and then you can focus it exactly where you want it."

I so did not know you could do that!

Hey all, new here, thanks for having me. Long story short I'm a point and shoot kind of guy, but I want to change. My grandma gave me a few of her old lenses and couldn't tell me much about them. Had a couple questions about them. Are the 3 lenses worth basing my new DSLR purchase on? Also, which of the digitals Nikons will work best with these? I don't know much about this stuff, but think I read somewhere that metering wont work with them. Is this true and is this a big deal if it doesn't? Sure appreciate your help. View attachment 54428View attachment 54426View attachment 54427

I would definitely say it's a question about how serious are you. For now, these lenses are great. The glass quality will compete against glass quality of today's new lenses, by most measures. (Sure they won't be PERFECT, you may get some aliasing, chromatic aberration, slight lack of sharpness), but your images will still look *nice* and *professional*, by any account. It's really a learning experience for you, and going out to buy canon gear--you will have to spend a lot and won't get lenses that are as fast. This was almost a month ago, what did you decide to do?

Most reactions

Back