helmuc

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.hostmaria.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi

Please explain the difference of older 50mm Canon f1.4 lens v the new type of 50mm Canon f1.4 lens

the old one (Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 Manual Focus Lens - 6324741 | eBay
$CanonFD50mmF1-4FDLens01.jpg

-----

After reading several reviews I have decided to buy a 50mm f1.4 lens for my 7D, but the new ones are way too expensive for me.. so, will the old one do the job as good as the new one?

... as I understand the only difference is that the old one has got only manual focus option. Are there any other diferences ... mostly in performance?

thank you in advance,
Helmuts

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a Canon "FD" mount lens, and is a different mount from Canon's AF and Digital cameras. There used to be an adapter, but it had optics built into it- probably hard to get now.

Mirrorless cameras have given FD lenses a new life, but Canon DSLR's: best to avoid FD lenses.

Random Ebay Auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-Le...ens_Adapters_Mounts_Tubes&hash=item4ab1b00d03

The glass in the adapters will be inadequate for F1.4, and will degrade the image.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
This is a Canon "FD" mount lens, and is a different mount from Canon's AF and Digital cameras. There used to be an adapter, but it had optics built into it- probably hard to get now.

Mirrorless cameras have given FD lenses a new life, but Canon DSLR's: best to avoid FD lenses.

Thank you Brian for sharing your knowledge.

All of the Canon 50mm F1.4's are very good optically. I use them on the Canon film cameras, and on mirrorless cameras. If you ever pick up a mirrorless camera, the one marked 50mm F1.4 "SSC" is probably the best of the FD series.

FD to EF adapters are still readily available, both with and without optics in them. I've used both types with a Canon 500mm f4.5 L FD lens, and am currently using one made by Ed Mika (without optics) and it works great.

Have you considered a f1.8? It is much cheaper, and from what I have read produces good results, albeit not quite as good, but for only around $100...

FD to EF adapters are still readily available, both with and without optics in them. I've used both types with a Canon 500mm f4.5 L FD lens, and am currently using one made by Ed Mika (without optics) and it works great.

I think for great lens such as your 500mm L, then the adapter make sense. But I will not get that adapter for the 50mm FD glass. For 50mm manual focus lens, I'd rather get one with other lens mount such as the M42.

Bukster has posted some amazing wildlife photos taken with that lens!

liquidxt said:
Have you considered a f1.8? It is much cheaper, and from what I have read produces good results, albeit not quite as good, but for only around $100...

He is right. 50 mm 1.8 is a good lens especially for 100$.
I am upgrading to the 1.4 next week though. It does a great job. Was my 3rd lens.

Most reactions

Back