Olympus E-500, or Canon 400D

Robbie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm getting my first DSLR !

As i'm ordering online to save money, I'm not going to have the opportunity to ''feel'' the camera.

I've done a bit of research and have narrowed my choice down to either the Olympus E-500, or the Canon 400D...( bear in mind i'll get an extra lens for around the same amount of cash if I go for the olympus )

Is there much in it ?

Does anyone have experience in using any of these cameras, is so, what's your virdict ?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks. :greenpbl:

P.S Very sorry..I realise this should be in the equipment section. I'm a first time user, forgive me.

Even if you are ordering on-line. I suggest going into a store that stocks them...just to feel and hold them.

I would suggest the Canon. The biggest reason I make this suggestion, is the lens choices. The E-500 uses the 4/3 lens mount system...which has a lot fewer choices than Canon's EF & EF-S lens mount.

That being said, if you like the E-500 better, go for that. You will never be able to buy or use all of the different lenses for the Canon.

You might also consider the Canon 350D (Rebel XT)...which is older but less expensive than the 400D.

When you look for a place to buy on-line...don't just search for the lowest price and order from there. There are many, many 'bait & switch' type outfits operating on the internet..and they advertise DSLR cameras like crazy. I suggest using the links at the top of this forum and ordering from B&H or Adorama...you will get a fair price from a good store.

The 4/3rd system is growing in popularity, and although there may be more Canon lenses, the general quality of the lenses available for 4/3 are better across the board - not counting Canon's $1,000+ L professional lenses. The good news is that when you are ready to move up to pro-level lenses, Leica is now making lenses for that mount. I would not hinge this decision on lens choices, unless you think you're turning pro.

I shot with the E-500. Although the above mention is correct about lens selection the 4/3 system I have fallen in love with my Olympus. The quality of the 4/3 Zuiko lans are superior and the camera body is smaller and compact. I also find the software user friendly as with the Cannon. Either way you can't go wrong, it comes down to a preference. Good luck

I'd go Olympus then. You will have double the capability right out of the box.

As an additional bonus, you can use Olympus OM-mount optics with an adapter on the E-500. OM optics are going for cheap on ebay right now. The only disadvantage is that if you want a really wide wide angle lens, you're going to have to buy Olympus, and that will be expensive.

Canon will give you more choices later as far as optics, because everyone makes lenses for Canon mount.

If you are male, unless you have very small hands, you will find the Olympus much more comfortable to hold. I'm 5'8" tall and have average size hands for my size, and the Canon Rebels were too small for me. When I held the Canon, I thought: "This isn't bad; it's a little tight, but I could get used to it." Also, my wife liked it. (that is why Canon went to a smaller grip size, IMO) When I held the Olympus, Pentax, and Nikon, I thought: "THAT's the stuff."

Thankyou so much for all the advice guys !

After a good feel, i'm going for the canon.

I'll be asking lots more irratating questions over the next few months, so thanks for your help and patience :mrgreen:

God I absolutely love photography ! - Despite not even having a working camera right now ( lost the battery, and it wasn't worth replacing ). I watched a very interesting programme on the paparazi last night. They can earn astonishing amounts of cash for the right photo...1/2 a million !

I agree with the Olympus. I got the two kit lens at Beach Camera. I feel with the two lenes I will be set for a while, enough time for lenses to become avaliable without getting a second mortgage. I am very pleased with my setup. I highly recommend Beach Camera....
Cosmo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back