Olympus E-system, four thirds potential??? Good investment???

Photokretz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello people.

Ive purchased an olympus e-500 dual kit lens over the holidays and am really liking it. I am now even thinking of upgrading the body to the e1 (since prices have dropped significantly), and potential lenses. The one thing that worries me is the potential of the olympus 4/3 system.

Do you think investing in this new system is a good investment? Are the quality of the lenses good enough to compensate for zuikos current lack of lens diversity in the digital world???

Friends have suggested that i switch over to nikon, which is a company i do trust based on past results, but ive already got a e-system kit set up, so its alot more worthwhile to continue on with this.

Any constructive responses will be highly appreciated.

You are invested in the Olympus system and you like it. Unless you plan on soon becoming a professional photographer of the kind who needs what Canon or Nikon specifically offer, or have special knowledge to indicate that Olympus are about to collapse, you've answered your own question there. No doubt your friends will tell you to switch to Nikon and they will probably tell the same to users of Canon, Pentax, anything other than their preferred brand.

If you personally feel that the range of lenses, flashes etc is too limiting or likely to become too limiting for you, then you have a good reason to change. I can't see the quality of the lenses being an issue at all - Olympus Zuiko glass has been at least as well-regarded and revered as any other brand name for as long as I can remember.

Yea, thx for that reply to my 1st message. Personally I feel that Zuiko makes some very nice lenses, and despite the high costs for some lenses....well you get what you pay for. I definitly dont plan on becoming a professional photographer anytime soon, I just have a passion for photography. I guess I just need to here what other people feel/think to gain some confidence in this new system.

Thx

It's completely understandable to be a little unsure about having made the right decision, especially when investing in a new camera system. Hopefully we can help, I think there are a couple of Olympus E users here, but bear in mind that as with most general photography forums, most SLR owners here are Canon or Nikon. I would recommend also finding and frequenting an Olympus users' forum or site - there are good ones for Pentax and Minolta/Sony so it shouldn't be too hard to find an Olympus one. It's helpful to know where to turn if you have a specific system-related query. But obviously only as a last resort - we want you to stick around here! :)

I do believe the Digilux 3 (which is actually a panasonic) adopted the Olympus 4/3rds bayonet mount. Leica has their own lenses in said mount and have said there are more to come. I'm assuming that the two systems are compatible but I can't say for sure. As with anything with the Leica "red dot" there is a premium on price.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back