Olympus E500 or Nikon D40x

Chugapug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Wanting to upgrade from P&S to DSLR Olympus kit With 2 lenses for 599 or Nikon kit with 2 lenses 949. Any opinions would be appreciated.

I would go for Nikon, but, if all possible, try and get a D50 or D80 instead of the D40/x. You will find that the lack of an AF motor eliminates the use of some great, cheaper glass.

If you are goin to spend around $1000 for a camera you probably want to look at:
Canon XTi
Olympus 510
Sony Alpha 100 or;
Nikon D80? (probably more than 1000)

Not sure it's fair to say a $600 versus a $1000 camera. They are in two different niches.

$600-$1000 is a pretty big jump in price. You can find alot of good cameras in that range, so I wouldn't only look at those two.

I have an E500 and love it. It's a great deal with the lenses it comes with, and like I've said many times before, I couldn't have asked for more in my first DSLR. However, if you have that kind of money to spend, you have alot of options.

I would definately recommend looking into the E-510 based on my great experience with Olympus, but I've heard great things about the D40x, D80, and XTi and would look into those as well.

Well if you choose the Olympus just hope they do not bail out on you (as they did with film SLR'S many years ago) when the wild market for DSLR's slows down. Remember Sony, Olympus, Pentax and now, Samsung have recently jumped in on the DSLR bandwagon when the market got hot. While Nikon and Canon have been doing DSLR's since the beginning. Personally (even just for quality's sake) I would go with a Nikon.

Most reactions

Back