Olympus EVOLT E-300 --- Lens issue/blurriness

sugarwaterpurple

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all! I'm completely new to this forum and digital photography, but I'm pretty fascinated and have always been interested in photographic art, I've just never really learned the craft and would like to start learning and practicing since I just got an "Olympus EVOLT E-300" as a hand-me-down from my father.

The Olympus EVOLT E-300 came with the standard lens and a telescope/far-range lens.

There is problems with the standard lens (Zuiko 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6) when focusing. When I take photos they all come out blurry and when using this lens everything is blurry through the viewer and it doesn't focus. But when I use the other lens (Zuiko 40-150mm) pictures come out much better and it actually focuses.

- can this be fixed?

- if not, and I need a new lens, then which lens would recommended, all-around lens to use for a beginner like myself?

Thanks yall

can't wait to start shootin'

"One picture is worth thousand words": please put some sample (it could be the autofocus is broken: I suppose there is also some way of manual focusing, try it). In case you have to change, take the same lens.

What mode are you shooting in ? Auto, aperture, shutter, manual...

What focus point ? SAF, CAF, SAF + focus point, SAF + M

Have you adjusted the diopler ?

Are you half pressing the shutter and waiting for a focus confirm beep before shooting ?

Cheers, Don

What mode are you shooting in ? Auto, aperture, shutter, manual...

What focus point ? SAF, CAF, SAF + focus point, SAF + M

Have you adjusted the diopler ?

Are you half pressing the shutter and waiting for a focus confirm beep before shooting ?

Cheers, Don

I have tried shooting in modes: M, S, A, and P. Mostly in Auto though...

I tried shooting in all the focus points.

The problem is that it doesn't beep nor does the red dot show in the view finder when I half-press the shutter. Although, I hear the mechanical noise of the lens trying to focus, but it never really beeps or actually focuses.

Dipolar? I'm not quite sure what that is or how to do that.

The diopler is used to adjust the viewfinder to your eyesight. It is a little wheel on the side of the actual viewfinder, turn it until the cross hairs are as sharp as can be.

The red dot you see through the viewfinder is the focus point you have selected.

The Green auto focus confirm dot will be to the right of the image along with the rest of the shooting info.

I suggest you read the manual, you can download a PDF version from the Olympus site.

And then go through the menu, you may have the beep set to off.

If all else fails see if the lens will focus in manual and/or clean the lens/camera contact points.

Cheers, Don

Last edited:
Yeah, It's definitely the lens. I brought it to several places around my area and it's gonna cost about $80 to get it repaired.

So I was actually thinking of getting a 25-30mm prime lens now for low-light shots and whatnot.

What do you think?

You are the only one who can decide what focal length is most useful to you :)

This is the current Olympus lens line up - Zuiko Digital Lenses

This is a link to some good info on OM lenses - Olympus OM Zuiko Lenses

The older film camera lenses are an inexpensive option but you lose auto focus.

Cheers, Don

Most reactions

New Topics

Back