Olympus M.ZUIKO 60mm f/2.8 Macro Lens and Raynox 250

I didn't have much time tonight and I realized that my mobile phone light is not a good source. I am beginning to think that this is not the best buy ever, I will try a bit more and see if I should keep them or not. First one with Canon second with Panasonic - not a real benefit even if you ignore the light.
I think the main problem is that I need to do free hand photos and this for me so far doesn't work like well - and I was leaning on something doing these

CanonTry. by davholla2002, on Flickr

panasonictry1-1 by davholla2002, on Flickr

About equally good, except for the yellowish WB in the Panasonic shot.

If you wanted freehand you should have picked Olympus. I do all my macro freehand

And yes your white balance is way off

It sounds like you just don’t like the camera, or you’re used to Canon and don’t want to change. Why not return your camera and buy a Canon that’ll work for you?

It sounds like you just don’t like the camera, or you’re used to Canon and don’t want to change. Why not return your camera and buy a Canon that’ll work for you?
It is a bit more complicated than that. I thought that I could get better with the post focus feature than I can with Canon, I am now trying to find out if this is correct or not.
The reasons for posting are two fold
1) I would like advice
2) No one else has compared Canon with Panasonic and although this is not a perfect comparison (Ideally I would have more time and a Panasonic expert beside me etc). I thought that it might be useful. In a perfect world lots of people would be interested in Macro and I would talk about this with my work colleagues, friends at church etc. Sadly we don't live in such a world (well I don't other people might have conversations at work about what they have photographed over the weekend).

One complication is that we all have slightly different requirements when it comes to Macro shooting, mine are particularly unique because I visit Colombia often and I can't use tripods there because of various reasons.

Here are some more tests if anyone is interested.

Canon
MacleayIMG_4228 by davholla2002, on Flickr
Panasonic
Macleay1Panasonic-1 by davholla2002, on Flickr

My conclusion is that for my conditions and skill there is no benefit to moving to Panasonic, unless someone says to me something like "No you should do x and it will give really really sharp photos"

There are more here but I won't add to avoid boring people.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/albums/72157708001501064

It is a bit more complicated than that. I thought that I could get better with the post focus feature than I can with Canon, I am now trying to find out if this is correct or not.
The reasons for posting are two fold
1) I would like advice
2) No one else has compared Canon with Panasonic and although this is not a perfect comparison (Ideally I would have more time and a Panasonic expert beside me etc). I thought that it might be useful. In a perfect world lots of people would be interested in Macro and I would talk about this with my work colleagues, friends at church etc. Sadly we don't live in such a world (well I don't other people might have conversations at work about what they have photographed over the weekend).

One complication is that we all have slightly different requirements when it comes to Macro shooting, mine are particularly unique because I visit Colombia often and I can't use tripods there because of various reasons.

Here are some more tests if anyone is interested.

Canon
MacleayIMG_4228 by davholla2002, on Flickr
Panasonic
Macleay1Panasonic-1 by davholla2002, on Flickr

My conclusion is that for my conditions and skill there is no benefit to moving to Panasonic, unless someone says to me something like "No you should do x and it will give really really sharp photos"

There are more here but I won't add to avoid boring people.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/14586608@N08/albums/72157708001501064
It sounds like the post focus feature can be used handheld, but I've read that the feature is also severely limited to static features. So, if the camera or subject (like the insects, which are really cool by the way) move in any way, you're not going to get good photos. One thing I've noticed in some of your shots is that you'll have areas that are out of focus when they probably shouldn't be. My question would be to figure out why this is happening? Is the camera moving? Are you trying to stack images that shouldn't be stacked? And, why do you need to stack photos of such large insects? The m43 sensor should provide sufficient DOF that you may not have to stack...

There used to be a person on here that did amazing insect and reptile shots, but I haven't seen him on here in a few years. Do a search for some of his threads. His username is/was @orionmystery. I think he's still active on Flickr, so you could try him there for some advice on photographing insects.

Most reactions

Back