Olympus OM-2000 sticking mirror

There are a couple of possibilities. Easiest first, then most likely, then riskiest to fix.

Since this is happening with more than one lens, it may seem unlikely to be a problem with both lens' apertures, but you might want to check the lenses first. Gummy apertures on Zuiko 50mm f/1.8's are quite common, as with many after-market lenses. A gummy aperture lever in the lens may bind the arm in the camera, keeping the mirror from tripping the shutter.

Another check would be to remove the lens and hold the tip of the arm inside the right side of the body mount (as you face the camera), the arm that flies up when you release the shutter. Hold this arm and let it rise slowly, and see if the mirror hangs. (Normally the mirror will actuate the shutter when it's front edge is about 3-4mm from the top.) If this were to happen any other OM, it could be a broken lifting spring, a broken or disabled impact absorbing spring, or a missing impact absorbing bumper (they're made of a rubber-like material, and they're wearing out). My 2000 experience is limited, but I suspect that that part of the mechanism is similar if not identical to the rest of the OM line. If this is the problem, you're talking mirror box removal and repair/replacement of the damaged springs and/or bumpers.

Sometimes the aperture lever on the rear of the lens and the arm in the body are aligned so that they barely meet, and can sometimes get hung on each other. (Again, unlikely on two different lenses, but....) On other OM's it's sometimes possible to set the camera on "B" and actuate the shutter, holding the shutter open as you visually inspect the alignment between the lens' aperture arm and the lever in the camera though the rear of the body. Don't know about the 2000, but you might try this. If the two arms barely meet, you might try gently bending the arm on the back of the lens just a tiny bit.

Lastly, and riskiest, it could be that the arm in the camera that closes the aperture on the lens is dragging against the light baffle on the rear of the lens. If this is the problem it is possible to CAREFULLY bend the tab on the end aperture arm so that it's a tiny bit further back, away from the lens. BE WARNED -- this arm is hardened, and quite easily broken!

I know the OM-2000 isn't a REAL Olympus (it is so obviously a Cosina that, if it had a K-mount, it's be a Ricoh), but I was wondering if anyone knows how to fix a sticking mirror.

The issue: When I press the shutter button, the shutter clicks, and the mirror stays up. This does not happen all of the time, and the mirror drops down with a little shake, or by moving the aperture ring. And it happens mostly with a Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 lens, and less (though occasionally) with a Tamron zoom lens with the Adaptall-2 OM mount adapter.

I suspect this is either a gear that needs to be lubed, or a sticking bumper, but before I start poking around inside, I'd wouldn't mind having an idea of what to look for.

I'm mostly a Minolta and Pentax guy (no disrespect to Olympus; I have an investment in glass), and I've solved this problem before on SRTs. This is my only Olympus; part of my collection for students.
I had a similar problem and when I put fresh batteries in the camera, it immediately started working perfectly. I wasn't prepared for such a simple solution.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back