Olympus OM-4 Exposure Issue

Wujagoodoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello, I recently purchased an Olympus OM-4 from Ebay, though its mechanically functioning the autoexposure seems to have some issues. Some of the duds I've taken are very much down to my own failure and over-reliance on the ttl metering rather than spot metering but there are others which are very much not. If it's of any further use the camera also initially had light leak issues which I have attempted (and seemingly succeeded) in fixing (unless the issue I'm about to show is indeed a light leak). So the issue is that some photos seem to end up under-exposed but somehow only in certain areas of the photo (always to the right of the frame) I have a couple of examples of comparable exposures here as well as one example of the issue without a comparison of correct exposure. Does anybody know what this issue is and, if so, how I can fix it?
Also I'm new to the forum so apologies if this should be posted elsewhere. Also apologies for low quality images, just wanted to post this quickly and quality doesn't really matter here.
A004137-R2-11-13Aforupload.jpg
A004137-R2-12-14Afor upload.jpg
A004137-R2-18-20A for upload.jpg
A004137-R2-19-21Afor upload.jpg
A004137-R2-15-17A for upload.jpg

Looks like a shutter timing issue. If a refund is possible, I'd go for it ASAP since this isn't a DIY fix. The curtains likely aren't following each other properly. As for film gear, I believe buying the newest you can ups the odds of getting cameras that work with zero defects/drama. Neither film or processing are getting any cheaper, so why buy a relic with issues? With so many 90s vintage cameras going for peanuts, like Nikon AF bodies that also work with manual lenses, there's no need to settle for sick pups like your OM4.

Yup, the OM-4 has a horizontal cloth shutter ... so it does appear that there is an issue with timing. Sadly this is not something you can fix.

Focal plane shutters (which most Japanese 35mm SLRs use) have two curtains. At slow shutter speeds one curtain fully opens the light path and then the 2nd curtain closes it.

At faster shutter speeds the 2nd curtain begins moving before the 1st curtain has reached the other side resulting in a "slit of light" that travels across the film.

This works fine as long as both curtains are moving at exactly the same speed. But, if there is a difference in their speeds then the "slit of light" gets wider or narrower as it travels across the film and you get uneven exposure across the image area.

This issue may affect certain shutter speeds more than others.

As noted above, only service by a qualified technician can fix these issues. And, nowadays such service usually costs more than finding another body that works correctly.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back