olympus om cameras...

oscarbellville

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
this is my second post today as im really searching for advice. I havce just bought a olympus om 20 off ebay. i have not yet used it but am excited as i want to get back into film photography after experimenting with digital which did not satisfy me!...however i just read that the om 20 falls under the consumer category of the om's...i think what i really want is one of the professional ones like the om 2 for instance. what i want to get is really sharp images with real depth of field. if you have ANY advice on the om cameras i would really appreciate it. can i get these results with the om 20 or am i better off with something else?
THANKS EVERYONE WHO CAN HELP!
oSCAR

I can't comment on your new to you camera, but I am curious. What was it that turned you off digital and what system were you using?

i have a canon eos 400d...its not that ive stopped using it, i just find it impossible to get the same depth of field with digital...i can't afford to be spending money on the really expensive digital lenses to acheive this...i also love the authentic quality you get with film...its mostly though that i find all my digital shots have been so flat and rigid...what do you reckon?

With film photography the quality of the end result has very little to do with the camera body you use (it is just a light tight box). It's all down to the quality of the lens you put in front of it. Buy the best Zuiko lens you can and if for some reason you don't like the OM-20, upgrade later to an OM-2 or OM-1.

thanks for your advice mate, that helps a lot...i will stick to the om 20...the package i got comes with these 3 lenses...do you know if they are any good, the pic is below?
1 g.zuiko auto-w 1:3.5 f=28mm
2 f.zuiko auto-s 1:1.8 f=50mm
3 zuiko auto-s 50mm 1:1.8

or is that not enough info to tell?

38b5_1.JPG

s.gif

Sounds to me like on your Digital you need to open the aperture more to give you less DOF.

But, you should be able to get some good blurred backgrounds with the 50mm F/1.8's =]

And as others have said, with film all that really matters in the lens and the film, and Zuiko is the best glass for OM's, so seems you're offto a good start.

When my dad died my mother gave me his OM 10 - I shot with it a ton when I was learning the trade. The body was like a tank, but the comments I always heard were about the glass - Zuico was then (and still is) fairly highly regarded.

It's all about glass. Whan I was shooting auto racing years ago I ran out of money and sold my Canon EOS 1N body (cost a fortune) to pay rent. I kept my EOS A2 (cost $600) and used a Rebel as a backup. I did NOT sell my L series 28-80 or 70-210 lenses - three and a half grand worth of lenses at the time. Never missed a beat with the lesser bodies. I was told that the 1N had a better transport system which held the film "flatter" in the plane. Uh huh. Never caught distortion on the final print, so I discount that.

Happy shooting...this makes me want to take my OM10 out and play!

Most reactions

Back