Olympus OM-D E-M1

vipgraphx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone used this camera? Looks pretty good with great IQ.

If you have used this camera I would love to hear your thoughts on it. I am looking to do landscape and portrait camera of course I know that the lens will a big impact but, is this a camera that can be used to yield professional results.

Hi vipgraphx - I'm a micro 4/3 guy (GH3), and I am heavily invested in the micro 4/3 ecosystem, but the bottom line on the $1399 (on sale) OM-D E-M1 is that it is larger and heavier than a $1698 full frame Sony A7 (with lower resolution and a much smaller sensor).

If I were in the market for a mirrorless camera today, especially for landscape photography, I would probably buy the A7 or, if budget allowed, the $2298 A7r and put Nikon FX lenses on it. I follow pro landscape photographer David Taylor-Hughes over at soundimageplus, and he has gotten amazing results with the A7r, the Metabones Speed Booster and Nikon lenses such as the relatively inexpensive 50mm f1.4G: SOUNDIMAGEPLUS: Sony A7r

Hope this is helpful and best of the holidays!

Bill

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Like what brunerww said, with the release of the A7 and A7R, choosing a new mirrorless camera just got a whole lot more confusing.

The OM-D (5 or 1) is a fine camera and will take awesome pictures. However, I feel that the aggressive pricing of the Sonys are just cutting too close to the high-end m4/3 camera bodies right now (GH3, GX7, OM-Ds).

For landscapes, the higher megapixels on the Sonys will be better. For portraits, the larger sensors will also mean you'll have more control over the depth-of-field on a fast lens. But as always, budget determines what we buy....the Sonys still is a lot of money.

If you are totally settled on the m4/3 system, for me I wouldn't spend money on the high end bodies. I would see if someone is still seeling a GX1 body and then spend on the money on nice primes.

Yes the full frame Sony A7 and A7R are impressive (I'm considering one for myself)

BUT

Size of the system (camera+lens) a factor?

Full frame lenses are rather large. Link below is a size comparison with the E-M1 + 12-35 f/2.8 versus the A7R + 24-70 f/4. The Sony FE 24-70 f/4 is quite a bit larger than the equivalent 12-35 f/2.8 despite being slower. FF is going to require bigger lenses and in generally more expensive.

Compact Camera Meter

Even compared to my already compact sized Leica M lenses, the MFT lenses are significantly smaller and lighter. My primes for micro 4/3rds are tiny; 12mm f/2, 20mm f/1.7, and 45mm f/1.8. I can fit most of them in my cargo pants pockets.

Sony A7 and A7r with the native Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5~5.6 lens...serious image quality problems with that lens's OSS system, straight from the camera's number one fan...this issue seems troubling, especially given that that lens is the one BestBuy and other large retailers are picking as the "standard zoom". Poor image quality in either the center or the edges, depending if the OSS system is ON or set to OFF? What is going on? I would like to see some kind of resolution of this issue.

SOUNDIMAGEPLUS: Something odd with the Sony FE 28-70mm lens

SOUNDIMAGEPLUS: Sony FE 28-70mm Edge Softness Problems - Is this the answer?

I recently got the Em1 and i love it fits well in my hand and the key sell for me was the 2x crop factor when taking nature shots or wildlife the extra reach from smaller lenses is very nice. The 12-40 2.8 pro lens is amazing and cant beat the weather sealing.

I have the EM5 and the E1, both are terrific, to the point i am selling off my D700 and all Nikon lens.
I travel a lot and the weight difference has made a BIG difference.

I rarely make prints bigger than 11x13 and the quality is shocking good.\

Go to your local camera store and handle each which will help you decide.

The biggest concern with the Sony is lens available and as Derrel has already indicated softness.

I recently got the Em1 and i love it fits well in my hand and the key sell for me was the 2x crop factor when taking nature shots or wildlife the extra reach from smaller lenses is very nice. The 12-40 2.8 pro lens is amazing and cant beat the weather sealing.

Have you seen this thread?

Olympus 12-40 Ouch!

yeah and sh!t happens, they replaced it under warranty it seems. Im more concerned about the image quality than i am about what happens if my camera drops on the ground landing on the lens.

Most reactions

Back