Olypmus OM-D-E-M5?

bs0604

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone have any experience with the Olympus OM-D-E-M5? I am thinking of getting this camera or the Fuji XPro-1.

I have been using one for several months and rarely even pick up my d700 anymore.

Am very pleased with the results, any issues are OP learning curves.

thank you ann. Any recommendations re lenses? Cost is not particularly an issue. I would like to eventually get coverage like I have for my D800 (14-24, 24-70, 70-200)

The issue with your thread is that you are not making any specifics... its too general of a question. Kinda like "What's a good car?" No mention of purpose, intent, what you already have, needs, wants..etc... If you want responders to put effort into posting responses, its only sensible to expect effort in the framing of the question.

For the Olympus OMD:

Olympus 9-18mm (On a Panasonic body, 7-14mm f/4 is better but not corrected on olympus bodies)
Panasonic 12-35 f/2.8 (Just purchased still learning it)
Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8 (Just purchased still learning it)

If you prefer primes:

Olympus 12 f/2 (Expensive worth it)
Panasonic 14 f/2.5 (Great buy.. very compact pancake)
Panasonic-Leica Summilux 25mm f/1.4
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 (slow AF)
Olympus 45mm f/1.8 (Great buy)
Olympus 75mm f/1.8 (Expensive but worth it)

Panasonic Macro 45mm Elmarit f/2.8 (its good but I predict the Olympus 60mm macro will be better)

For telephotos zooms:

45-200mm (Inexpensive.. compact. Soft on the long end)
100-300mm (Sharp a bit big)

Pretty much all the lenses I have used and pretty happy with. The system has a pretty wide selection of native lenses.. You can adapt other lenses too. The biggest disadvantage in the system (relative to DSLRs) is its ability to track moving subjects.

Last edited:
The E-M5 is a great camera but takes some time to learn, at least for me after using the Pany G1 & GF1.

The in body image stabilizing is a big plus over the Pany bodies particularly if you are using adapted vintage lenses.

I am now leaning towards the Fujifilm x Pro1 because of its larger sensor?? and better dynamic range??

Recently I took a photo in very dim conditions, using an ISO of 6400,I converted it to black and white and took a print into my dealer to show them what the 45mm 1.8 lens would do. I happened to use f4 (just as an aside).

Long and short, they took the file made a print 16x20 and hung it up in the store and when people ask about this camera , they point it out and folks seem to be shocked at the quality. In fact it has made lots of sales for them :).

Can you go into your local store and take a card and test both out and see what you like up close and personal?

You should ask for royalties linked to the sales ann :)

Could you post it?

Most reactions

Back