OMG!! you HAVE to read this!!!!!!

Yes, but Missions - Mars Science Laboratory - NASA Science is taking place in August and I had a part in it's developement and design...a very small part mind you but now, honestly I can claim fame as a Rocket Scientist and answer any and all questions!

:) I helped Ames Research design and coat 2 small collection units for the rover. Just doing my part for good 'ol science!

What IS a good entry level scope if I want to photograph the stars?

Pfft. A mere blink of the eye for the patient. And in another 9 years, we can resuscitate this thead... if the internet is still there... if TPF is still there... if WE are still here...

Stars are pretty bright and are just points of light. The tough shots are the galaxies and nebulas.

The best bang for the buck would be a reflecting telescope, because they use mirrors instead of lenses. Mirrors only have to be finished on one side, while lenses have to be finished on both sides, so mirrors cost less. mirrors are also much less subject to optical aberrations that have to be corrected for.

A 6" newtonian reflector on a motor driven equitorial mount would be a good start. The much fainter galaxies and nebulas require more aperture, like 12" and up.

Like camera lenses, telescopes have a speed, or f/stop - focal length/mirror diameter = f-stop. So a 1200 mm focal length and 6" (152.4 mm) mirror give an f-stop of f/8.

Here is an f/5, 8" reflector - Orion SkyView Pro 8 GoTo Reflector Telescope

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back