On average...what % of your work do you trash?

• 80%+

Votes: 16 57.1%
  • 60%

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • 40%

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • 25%

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • 10% or less

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

slackercruster

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit

Between 98-99%

Literally.
No, really.

It depends on what I am shooting! Sometimes it's probably all of it. Sometimes it's very little at all.
For sports I probably trash about 40%
Portraits maybe 25%
Personal stuff-very little unless I am playing with a technique or my husband gets a hold of the camera.
The last wedding I shot? I wanted to trash it all because they were the most NON expressive people EVER, but in reality I probably trash about 25-40% depending on the lighting situations for weddings. Depends how much I am playing around with flashes and stuff.

I decided to just go with about 40%.

I trash the obviously bad ones, unfix-able by any means, too blurry, too overexposed, etc...

Everything else gets thrown into archive on an external HDD. I don't keep or use everything, but even the ones I don't use I don't trash. Archive.

One of the rules I've learned to keep to is to never never never delete photos (unless of course you can't tell what the picture is). Archive them.

This is just me though, and I'm sure a few others practice this as well.

mmmhhh ... around 1:50. When I was shooting film it was 1:36. My benchmark typically, is what is acceptable for publication, any image not good enough to be published I consider trash ... or I keep it because of personal/sentimental value, like snaps of the kids.

Gary

Last edited:
I put 10% or less.. but honestly that's just when i'm shooting film, but since that's most of the time.. I usually post up most of the frames on my flickr, or make prints for friends, etc. Occasionally there's the OOF frame, or bad lighting, but I seem to have better results with my film shots than digital. Probably because I actually care about it..

It depends on how "trash" is defined. I said 80+ because I would define trashed as anything that is not posted, printed or sent to someone, but there are about 10% that I convert to tiff and may even spend some time working on in PS, but I decide I haven't achieved what I wanted. So if "trashed" is anything that never gets converted from a raw file at all, then it's lower, like about 70-80%.

Exactly, what is "trash"?

I select to edit perhaps 10-15% of my images but 90-85% are only slight variances of the chosen ones.

If Trash = Delete, then <2%.

If Trash = Never PP'd, then ~95%.

There's a big difference between "what % do I trash", "what % do I deliver" and "what % do I do the full workup on for the album"....

OP, What are you most concerned with?

If it's blurry, delete.
If it's a bad comp, delete.
If it's a blinker, delete.

From there it gets a bit more muddy.

I "trash" about 80% but I never actually "trash" any. I keep all except the foot shots when I accidentally press the shutter unintentionally. I keep practically everything in case I get a flash of inspiration for them.

For me about 90% mainly because I take numerous shots changing the settings each time. On review I select the keeper and dump the rest.

The ones that went off in my hand by accident land in the bin (unless they're interesting). The rest are sifted through my mental sieve, with the nuggets being put into various albums, framed, given to people as gifts, used by my wife or myself for photo projects, etc. What doesn't make this cut are stored with the negatives for the future.

I hate throwing photos away; it feels like throwing much more than just some paper and celluloid away.

To be honest, I delete 99% of my pics 'in camera' and in that one percent, I delete over80% of that, so there's like 1000 pics!

Most reactions

Back