? on D70s & 18-70mm

Rv5

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been doing a lot of research here and on the net mainly about the D50. I found the general consensus to be the kit lens for the d50 isnt great, and a better option would be to go with the 18-70mm.

So finally yesterday I went to the store, with the intention not to buy, but to hold a D50 and get a feel for it. They were out of the D50 but had a display model D70s. That one felt good, nice and solid.

I was doing some pricing on amazon. The D50 is 549 and the 18-70mm is 335 for a total of 884 but the D70s kit is 899. For 15 bucks it seems obvious to go with the better model no? The D70s is a current production model right? I know the D70 has been discountinued, but Nikkon is still making the D70s as i understand. Any plans for either the D50 or the D70s to be discontinued any time soon?

I don't know but about being discontinued but if you have a choice between D50 and D70s go D70s all the way!. I would not be surprised with the D80 coming out that the D70s might be discontinued but that doesn't make it any less of a camera.

For $15 it isn't even a question, get the D70s. The D70s is in current production, I don't know Nikon's plan for the D70s, but what difference does it make if they drop it if you'll already have one? All the lenses will still work and Nikon will support it for warranty and repairs. Just get it and start shooting....

Rv5 said:
Hey guys,
Been doing a lot of research here and on the net mainly about the D50. I found the general consensus to be the kit lens for the d50 isnt great, and a better option would be to go with the 18-70mm.

So finally yesterday I went to the store, with the intention not to buy, but to hold a D50 and get a feel for it. They were out of the D50 but had a display model D70s. That one felt good, nice and solid.

I was doing some pricing on amazon. The D50 is 549 and the 18-70mm is 335 for a total of 884 but the D70s kit is 899. For 15 bucks it seems obvious to go with the better model no? The D70s is a current production model right? I know the D70 has been discountinued, but Nikkon is still making the D70s as i understand. Any plans for either the D50 or the D70s to be discontinued any time soon?
The one thing to consdier here is that there's really no reason to get the 18-70 new. You can find them used for $200 all the time. So the price difference isn't only $15.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back