On the go cameras?

I wish I can be like lots of people that can just carry an extra backpack for their camera, but I have 2 little ones and it seems that I carry a lot of stuff for them.... I feel like when I carry my camera with me it has to be planned.

Curious why you feel like you have to carry a bunch of stuff with your cameras?

I always have a camera with me. Usually it's either my Olympus XA, which fits in a pocket, or my x100, although I often have my M6 with me too. I ride my bicycle to work so I don't like carrying big stuff, or a lot of stuff.. I do have more options though if I ever want to change it up:

Most of My Cameras.. by bhop, on Flickr (not pictured, Nikon F4s, d300, Olympus stylus epic)

With my XA, I just load it with a roll of film and stick it in my pocket. Nothing else to carry with me, no need to plan for anything, it's there if it's needed.
flickr xa set: Olympus XA - a set on Flickr

Last edited:
I have always with me a cheap P&S... not to complain for some opportunities... while when I travel I try to have at least dSLR+one lens... I write small because I feel lazy and guilty... :)

You know the old cliché about the mailman going for a walk after work?

I'm not happy to say, but for most of my adult life, I automatically step into "work mode" when I have a camera in my hand. So, I end up leaving my cameras at work. I think I'm happier that way.

When a photo op does arise and I snag my wife's camera, it still feels a bit like work. I suppose it's because I have learned to "make" photographs rather than "taking" pictures. In other words, I want to take control of the image... usually requires a bit of planning. I'm certain there's been a cost to this... some real losses too.

When I AM on the road with my gear heading for or returning from a job, I'm most always am too pressed for time or simply too spent to stop for a shot I might happen upon. I think I've done this just 3 or 4 times over the past 40 years. I'm more likely to return to an area at a later date.

So, no omnipresent camera with me. It's one less thing to worry about.

-Pete

Exactly why I'll never get into photography for money. I never want to feel like you do about photography.

@ elngerson, I hope I never get to the point where it's you are, right now I'm just enjoying it and learning as much as I can.

I don't feel like I have to carry lots of goodies, but just the camera it has to have it's own bag, it's just not happening right now, and I don't own a p&s so no help there, I'll just have to do with my iPhone camera.

@ elngerson, I hope I never get to the point where it's you are, right now I'm just enjoying it and learning as much as I can.

I don't feel like I have to carry lots of goodies, but just the camera it has to have it's own bag, it's just not happening right now, and I don't own a p&s so no help there, I'll just have to do with my iPhone camera.

I don't always use a bag if i'm taking a camera with me. Just strap it around me and walk. Honestly though, the cameras I usually carry around aren't as big as modern dslrs. Leica M, Fuji X100, or something like an older manual SLR, those are pretty small, even though they're not pocketable they don't really get in the way and if I stop somewhere like a coffee shop or restaurant, i just set it on the table. If my only camera was my d300 (for example), I wouldn't want to carry it around either..

I currently use the Crumpler 7 million dollar home and love it. I like the messenger bag style and this gives me plenty of room. In it I have a gripped 7D with lens attached, some cables, 2nd lens and kit cleaning stuff. I have room for about 3 more lens and prob another body. Super comfy to carry as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back