On the go cameras?

lapequesalsera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
People talk about carrying their cameras wherever they go so when the opportunity approaches they are ready to take the shoot, but do they carry a small camera for the road? I have a d7000 and it's big enough for me to be carrying it around. What do you do?

I normally have two kits (1 FF and 1 crop) in my truck at all times. If I'm walking, I'll put one body and a couple of lenses in my back-pack bag.

7D with a 24-70 and 70-200 are always in my backpack, which is always with me.

You know the old cliché about the mailman going for a walk after work?

I'm not happy to say, but for most of my adult life, I automatically step into "work mode" when I have a camera in my hand. So, I end up leaving my cameras at work. I think I'm happier that way.

When a photo op does arise and I snag my wife's camera, it still feels a bit like work. I suppose it's because I have learned to "make" photographs rather than "taking" pictures. In other words, I want to take control of the image... usually requires a bit of planning. I'm certain there's been a cost to this... some real losses too.

When I AM on the road with my gear heading for or returning from a job, I'm most always am too pressed for time or simply too spent to stop for a shot I might happen upon. I think I've done this just 3 or 4 times over the past 40 years. I'm more likely to return to an area at a later date.

So, no omnipresent camera with me. It's one less thing to worry about.

-Pete

I have a backpack with everything in it that's always in the same city as me. If I'm going for a long photo hike, or going somewhere specifically to shoot, I'll take things out to optimize for weight, but still carry a lot. For less intense photo walks, friend's houses, family gatherings, etc.. I have a small over the shoulder bag that holds body, 2 lenses, maybe a speedlight, and some sundries (usually have the tripod in a separate shoulder bag when I do this). Many times though, I'll just carry the camera on my shoulder with a 35mm lens, no bag, no accessories, just for the sake of having it with me.

Stuff in my signature plus a few portable manfrotto light stands ride with me on my motorcycles just fine =)

Always in my bag and on my person if I'm not going to school or gym, or dinner.

When I go out, I carry this:

jN0tisfU3z22R.jpg

In this:

661060.jpg

I wish I can be like lots of people that can just carry an extra backpack for their camera, but I have 2 little ones and it seems that I carry a lot of stuff for them.... I feel like when I carry my camera with me it has to be planned.

I wish I can be like lots of people that can just carry an extra backpack for their camera, but I have 2 little ones and it seems that I carry a lot of stuff for them.... I feel like when I carry my camera with me it has to be planned.

Well then, get a holster like I mentioned earlier and carry on your belt, free your back for kiddie supplies - I'll assume you are not carrying every piece of camera equipment you own in this case.

Most reactions

Back