On the hunt again

Luminosity

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
So, I quit my job last Monday...

Well, I was kinda 'encouraged' to, by the creative director, who got the general manager to sit in on the 'chat' last Friday.

I've been on the precipice of quitting, well, since I started. Actually, make that when I was told that they wanted me to come in for the fourth interview (this is a receptionist, with a dash of P/A on the side position btw...not a rocket scientist or brain surgeon position). For the first 2 mths I would come home and be totally fed up by the cattiness, the clique'iness and general shallow comments. I was told I looked 'too conservative' and I needed to 'get funky/orginal' outfits to fit in. Then I was pulled aside by the studio manager (who is one of those types who smiles sweetly while she stabs you in the back) and told that there has been talk around the office about my shoes, that they were not conservative enough. I remember I got home after that day and lost it a little and had a cry because I was dealing with something that doesn't sit well with me...which is 'shallowness' and people being ungenuine.

Anyway, the designers are good people, they're genuine and actually spare time to make conversation with me and seem like they care about my response.

The rest...well does any of you know that feeling where it seems like sh1t has been said about you behind your back and the clique are stonewalling you and want you to trip over and fall on your face? They joke and are cool with each other but if I try and join in on the conversation, the tone changes right away and they're suddenly "Ohhhhhh k," and they filter off.

The creative director decided over a month ago that he wanted me to clean up and reorganize 10 massive cuboards, filled with thousands of advertising samples (leaflets, posters etc) crammed to the hilt. He gave me two days to do this, when realistically it was a three week job. So, I got right into it and went hell for leather, balancing on a ladder in high heels most of the time but having to negotiate putting, say, a heavy box somewhere quickly so that I can quickly climb off the ladder and run for the phone when it rang a hundred times a day.

I finally finished the cuboards, on a few occasions. But then, they'd look at and say " No, we think maybe you should totally rearrange it again to look like this now..." on 5 occassions. Then the creative director, after telling me to do it differently because he changed his mind, would whine about it taking me so long.

That's just one example.

So, he pulls me into his office on Friday and proceeds to tell me that he doesn't wanna pay me what I'm worth and wants a junior (with a salary to match), that he doesn't trust me etc etc. He never said anything bad about my work because I've been busting my butt for these guys and the clients love me...so he can't find anything super bad about that. Instead, he questions my character and thinks "I don't have much of a future there". I come back to him the following Monday and calmly tell him that he has me all wrong. That I AM a trustworthy and loyal persn.That I think he SHOULD get a junior to fill my spot and that I should move on to a company that values me and utilises me in a way that highlights my strengths. Basically I had him backpeddling a bit, took control of the conversation in a very polite but assured way and wished him well.

Sadly, the cliquey people, ie. account managers and higher management, were SUPER nice to me once they were 'officially' told I had decided to leave. Didn't last long, they were back to the sacharinne sweet snobbiness the next day.

The designers are sad to see me go though and I'm sad to leave them. One of them, when he asked me about me moving on and I explained it away by saying "this position wasn't challenging enough..." and struggled with what to say next, well he just nodded and looked at me knowingly and said " ....I know..." as if to say he knew exactly why I was going because he's seen the b/s too...

God, I ramble on eh.

As excited as you were about getting this job, Lumikins, it really sucks that it turned out so badly. :hug:: You deserved much better than what you got!

I know you tried everything you could to make it work. But sometimes people aren't a good fit with the corporate culture - and this place's corporate culture has always reeked, based on the stories you told. :meh:

Pearls before swine, honey - I'm glad you're out of there. They didn't deserve you! :heart:

You'll find something again soon, I know it. Good luck with the hunt! :)

Good for you. :thumbsup:

I worked at place that had similar issues. It was a great office, brand new with lots of luxuries. A really big 'living room' with leather sofas that we could hang out it (sometimes)...and it even had a gym with locker rooms and all. Not bad for an office with only about 20 people in it. The president, however, was a bit old school and like to rule with an iron first. On top of that, I don't think he really knew how to run an office. That filtered down to the engineer who was my boss. He wasn't much of a leader...just a guy with a whip who told us what to do. He was most concerned that we looked busy because that would reflect well on him...he actually didn't care.

The company didn't have Internet access on the computers...or even E-mail. This was because the president was worried that we would send out all the company secrets. What does that say about how he felt about the employees? On top of this...the 'IT' guy was a tool and the president's lackey...so he wasn't about to explain anything...if he even knew.

The accounting clique was very chatty and anything you did was instantly gossip. They clung to their hierarchy...anyone above entry level would lord over people below them. One time I got to the gym a few minutes before an accounting manager...and I took the last treadmill...well that didn't sit well and she 'jokingly' gave me some backhanded comments...so I 'jokingly' returned them. Next day, my boss comes to me and demands that I apologise to her. WTF?

They made it seem so nice...they would take the employees on these great trips... (I just missed out)...but they all went down to the US for a week to visit a supplier. They were wined and dined all week...but actually, the managers just wanted to get the employees drunk to find out what they would say while in that state.

They had an 'open office' layout...so my cubical was open to the back...so I had to look busy and attentive all the time...even if they gave me absolutely no work for a week.

Eventually I just started showing up hung over...everyday. That wasn't the best thing to do...but it eventually got me fired....and out of there. I really should have just quit.

How's that for rambling on? :lol:

What a terrible working environment for you! I, for one, am glad to hear you're getting out of there before wasting any more time where your hard work isn't valued. It's their loss, that's for sure!

PG said it right, they do NOT deserve you! Be glad you left when you left, it could've been worse later on. All that being said, I'm confident you'll land something much better soon. Just a feeling, ya know... :D

I totally agree! I'm so happy you were able to recognize that leaving, while a hard decision I'm sure, was the right one for you. I'm thinking of you and I hope the job search goes quickly for you :hug::

big hug to you Lumi!!!! good luck with the hunt!

Sounds like a **** work inviroment.

Good luck finding a new job! I doubt you'll have a hard time finding one!

Thanks guys :hugs:

Got another week to go and I'm over it, I want out lol.

Lol Mike, ramble away dude, hell I do it enough so it's your turn matey! I know how ya felt about just going 'screw it' and making them fire you. I felt like that on Friday (even though I've technically already 'resigned'). I just went 'to hell with it!" and told them I had a massive toothache (which I had the day before lol) and spent the day at home. Spent the day emailing out resumes.

Thanks again for the support everyone. Why can't I find guys like you to work with!

Oh and Bace, in answer to a comment you made awhile ago, where you mentioned that ya wish we could've gone out for a drink (or two, or three). I really wish we did! Next time I'm in TO (hopefully next year after my wedding) we can catch up?

You still working on St Clair?

Man, I miss living in Davisville!

A bunch of my friends live around yonge and davisville. I was thinking about moving up there my self, but i'm getting a sweet deal right now, can't really give it up.

But yeah, when you get back message me. Still working on St.Clair.

After work drinks at the Sports Cafe. Soccer at Scallywags.

Great area.

One of my friends just moved to Aukland and if I go see her I'm gonna make sure I make it to Australia. Won't be for some time though. We'll have the board to keep in touch i'm sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back