Compaq

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Quite nice lighting situation :D

6676579811_0fa8bec527_z.jpg

Thanks a lot! I've spent many hours fishing on that pier, down there! :D

It's photos like this one that make me want to give up, because I can't imagine making a picture that good.... or quit my day job and devote my life to trying. Really beautiful.

Fantastic shot! How about a bit of info on how you captured it?

It's photos like this one that make me want to give up, because I can't imagine making a picture that good.... or quit my day job and devote my life to trying. Really beautiful.

Don't think like that! If you like it so, try to be inspired by it, or otherwise motivate yourself. Whenever I see a photo that really makes me go "Wow, I want to do that", I feel inspired. Anyone can take good pictures of fjords from a viewing point.... you just need the fjord and the viewing point ;) I want to take pics of other scenes that I don't have around me, I really do.. Until I get there, there isn't much I can do but watch images and feel inspired by them.

Fantastic shot! How about a bit of info on how you captured it?

To achieve this you probably need more than one exposure. I used 5, I think, taking one for the shadows, one for the middle, one for the highlights and a couple in-between. Software, such as Photomatix (which I used), will merge these exposures and make a so-called high dynamic range picture. On this picture, there are several things you can do with the software. I did some "tone mapping". This editing technique will enhance local contrast as well as global contrast of the image.

You may have noticed how most is rendered black if you shoot against a window? That's due to a limiting dynamic range of the image sensor - it's not able to capture the entire range of tonal values. That's why we take several exposures, being sure to capture the entire range in more than one exposure. The software will merge them. Here's one exposure for the trees, and one exposure for the sky. As you see, one exposure won't render detail in both areas.. In HDR-photography, the editing is crucial. I most often like the pictures to look natural, and not like a cartoon, or a painting.

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

Ahhhh.... HDR. I really must look into this. That's a very natural looking HDR photo. Usually I think they look.... mmm... HDR ish. Beautiful work!

It's not hard - it just takes practice. And mine own shots aren't perfect. The code is starting to be cracked, though.

I did try to take some exposures for a panorama, but being the pano n00b I am, the other frames were all tilted. Photoshop wasn't able to align them. I'll need to practice more for panoramas - the scene is wonderful for it.

Great post processing! Must be a very tedious task on this one but it's really interesting. A very inspiring photo to write a story from.

Very, very well done. I've always wanted to venture over to Norway. I feel like you could be dropped there, throw the camera in the air on a timer, and still end up with a great shot. But, this one is very well done.

Mark

Most reactions

Back