once again looking for critiques

ontforkicks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
everybodyplayschess.jpg

I think this would be one of those cases where the motto "expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights" it very significant. The mid-range is very strong, but I feel like the exposure falls off in both directions a bit.

I think this would be one of those cases where the motto "expose for the shadows, develop for the highlights" it very significant. The mid-range is very strong, but I feel like the exposure falls off in both directions a bit.

Agreed but the moment is perfect.

Exactly..but it has a great feel about it, I like it.

The moment in time is impeccable.

Others will give you the technicals, but well done on capturing the scene.

thanx, yeah it was in new york in washington square and i was just passing by and i thought that a boy and an old man playing chess in new york was just sooo classic so i decided to ask if i could take a picture and they said yes

hehe, i only ask if i want them to pose these days.

its a nice scene!

What a really interesting pic! I love the gritty street scene helped by the noise and the bw. The background has a really smoggy feel to it helping to push it back from the foreground. The contrast may be a bit strong but it lends itself to the street-ness of the image and I think you've managed to hold on to enough detail in the highlights for them to be mostly identifiable. I like the two layers of players, a pair in the middle ground and the pair in the foreground. Wish I had taken this!

Not that there's anything you can do about it now, but a shallower depth of field would have worked better, IMO.

Other than that - a great catch!

Most reactions

Back