One bag of Photographic equipment plus one carry-on when flying?

canonikon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
TSA: Photographic Equipment & Film

Can I carry one bag of photographic equipment in addition to one carry-on when going on an airplane? Will the TSA people tell me to check one of the bags? What are the restrictions for the photographic equipment bag? I have a Lowepro Flipside 300 just wondering if they will let me through without check the bag...

You should check the airline for their regulations. For several months, I had to fly from my hometown, Lafayette, La., to Corpus Christi, Tx and had no issue with having 2 bags. I had my backpack with camera equipment and my briefcase. No issues at all.

ie. Continental Airlines - Carry-on Baggage
Look under Personal items.

I flew to Australia, from Montreal through LA. I checked with the actual guards doing the security screening. They mentionned that you are allowed a camera bag, diaper bag, laptop bag with only a laptop and other such items AND a carry-on bag.

I put my 3 lenses and body in my Lowepro Classified 160 and told them that this is my camera bag with only my camera and gear inside and they were ok with that.

Once you clear the security checkpoint you are good to go, so they are the best people to ask.

the problem is not the 2 bags. its the size depending on the airplane. I have a big backpack, it fits fine in some overhead compartments and others really have to wiggle it in and force it a bit.

But if the size is not an issue you are fine :D

I have a rather large camera backpack (Lowepro Nature Trekker II) and then a reg'lar backpack with laptop, food, etc. If bringing both, then I check my bag with clothes, etc. No issues with bringing both. If just going to something where I'm bringing, say, 1 lens and 1 body, I wrap them in something and put them in the larger section of the backpack and bring both my small suitcase and the backpack on -- no issues. As ana said, it's all about the size, not the two bags, though.

On US Airways they always say "One Carry-On and one smaller bag such as pocketbook, laptop bag, small backpack, etc. " I liberally have translated this "smaller bag" as my camera bag and have had no issues so far. They do want the small bag under the seat in front of you.

Most reactions

Back