One big Nikon Dilemma

In your place, I'd buy a much humbler camera, and spend the bulk of the money on good optics and actual travel.

For instance, having been to Europe a few times, I'd rather have a good basic camera, even a point and shoot, and a trip to Austria than a top class Nikon and be stuck at home paying for it. ;)

Last edited:
Does you need a camera better than the D3. Only each person themselves can decide, but it is pro level and can be got secondhand. The D4 may be better but really only time will tell once people use and can give feedback (I have no doubt though it will be a great piece of kit). I would doubt (and no disrespect meant to op) that when a question is asked about these 3 cameras that the person asking has the knowledge to make the most out of any of them. A d4/d3 comparison, fair enough but the d800 is only similar in that it is a full frame. The ISO and speeds of these cameras will be on opposite sides of the fence in performance so ultimately will appeal to pros with different needs

+1 on the idea of a decent camera with travel money left over. I could afford a 600mm f4 nikkor and a D4. I'll stick with my D7000 and buy a 17-55 DX and take the trip to Ireland I have booked in June instead.

D700 > sensor of the D3, size of the 800, 5-8fps, and you'd have money left for exotic lenses.

wait, wrong.. I have to say > F6 + exotic lenses no slower than f/2 + tons of Tri-X

That sounds like shooting everything. Then I'll recommend a D4 if you don't mind the size and weight for traveling (a M9 is better :)). Just my 2 cents.

Most reactions

Back