One Door Closes, Another Door Opens ~ Ashley M.

JohnKokWithAdSLR

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is Ashley, shes a pretty sporty gal =)

girlgigling.jpg

ashleysweetness.jpg

thepondereroftomorrow.jpg
themaidenbytheshore.jpg

snowglow.jpg

Constructive C & C welcome

Sorry about the small pictures, got bigger ones here

Artistically Scientific Side of Things

Please allow me the opportunity to share about my actual experimental work.

As an artist, my work is about expressing a person’s character using impressions generated from photos and words and piecing them together to form a bigger picture.

Rather than on a per-picture basis, kindly consider my work through an overall point of view.

Full articles of my experimental series can be found here

I would really appreciate if you may take some of your time and give me feedback about them as it would aid me greatly in furthering my research

Thank you very much =)

I like them. #4 is a bit odd because of the distracting background.

Regards,

Joe

I went and looked at the full set...you close with seven out of nine image composed horizontally, with the girl amputated just below the collarbones, and 2/3 of the frame nothing but dead space. Get a clue: show her bustline. You have seven absolutely horrible compositions in a row to finish out the full set on the web host pages, where you have a beautiful model, but the camera is in landscape orientation, and she is STANDING right in front of you!!!!

Here's a well-known Japanese camera review site that has hundreds of fashion-like portfolios of the same type that you are photographing. Here's just one sample portfolio that shows what I am talking about with regard to posing a young woman, and then matching the pose to the camera's orientation; there are "horizontal poses", and there are "vertical poses"....and then there are pictures where the vertical pose is butchered because the camera operator holds the camera horizontally...ruining the pose, and the picture. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a horizontal camera orientation--as long as the pose is suitable for that! So,so many people keep thinking that what I am trying to say is that a portrait must always be shot with the camera in vertical orientation, ie, the "portrait" mode, but that's missing the point. The point is that a vertical pose implies action, movement, dynamism, energy, life, youth, vigor, and a horizontal pose implies restfulness, langor, fatigue, calm, tranquility, reflection or contemplation,etc. Every time I see a standing young woman amputated at the collar bone level,and the remaining 2/3 of the frame shown with empty grass or shopping mall as a background, I want to scream at the shooter who continually makes that fundamental mistake because he or she has absolutely no clue as to "why" the pose, and the framing, must work TOGETHER.

1ŒŽ†yXç‚­‚é‚Ý { ƒ\ƒj[ƒ¿900z2T–Ú

Here's a well-known Japanese camera review site that has hundreds of fashion-like portfolios of the same type that you are photographing. Here's just one sample portfolio that shows what I am talking about with regard to posing a young woman, and then matching the pose to the camera's orientation; there are "horizontal poses", and there are "vertical poses"....and then there are pictures where the vertical pose is butchered because the camera operator holds the camera horizontally...ruining the pose, and the picture. There is absolutely nothing wrong with a horizontal camera orientation--as long as the pose is suitable for that! So,so many people keep thinking that what I am trying to say is that a portrait must always be shot with the camera in vertical orientation, ie, the "portrait" mode, but that's missing the point. The point is that a vertical pose implies action, movement, dynamism, energy, life, youth, vigor, and a horizontal pose implies restfulness, langor, fatigue, calm, tranquility, reflection or contemplation,etc. Every time I see a standing young woman amputated at the collar bone level,and the remaining 2/3 of the frame shown with empty grass or shopping mall as a background, I want to scream at the shooter who continually makes that fundamental mistake because he or she has absolutely no clue as to "why" the pose, and the framing, must work TOGETHER.

1ŒŽ†yXç‚*‚é‚Ý { ƒ\ƒj[ƒ¿900z2T–Ú

If I had a nickle for every time...

But you see, Derrel, it's another rule that is meant to be broken for the sake of creating ones own style or trumpeting creativity.

Nah. Just kidding.

I like them. #4 is a bit odd because of the distracting background.

Regards,

Joe

the color is albeit off too =(

I went and looked at the full set...you close with seven out of nine image composed horizontally, with the girl amputated just below the collarbones, and 2/3 of the frame nothing but dead space. Get a clue: show her bustline. You have seven absolutely horrible compositions in a row to finish out the full set on the web host pages, where you have a beautiful model, but the camera is in landscape orientation, and she is STANDING right in front of you!!!!

To me a vertical composition is great for capturing full body shots but the problem with that is that we can really see clearly the wonderful expression on the model's face

A vertical composition of the subject's face and upper body alone is great except when it comes to the part when she has multiple expressions, then i will be doing the same shot over and over which will make a boring series

A horizontal composition however, allows some dynamism in the bg, in the selection of bg, and it allows to frame the subject to the left or to the right or the center in these selections of bg. I dont know if people notice this but the framing to the left whole the subject is looking to the right and the framing to the left while the subject is looking to the left gives very different feelings to the photo ( i dont know if anyone understand what i saying but i try lol )

But of course, you point of view really do have its merits, showing more bustline in my model will definitely make it better hahahahaha

Based on my experimental work, the model is the theme, the theme is the model ;-)

1ŒŽ�†�y�X�ç‚*‚é‚Ý �{ ƒ\ƒj�[ƒ¿900�z2�T–Ú

Absolutely correct, every detail matters, thank you very much for showing me the jap master, its really interesting to see the jap perspective

are you in japan now ?

I like how you post the exact same post in POTN, word for word.
One Door Closes, Another Door Opens ~ Ashley M. - Canon Digital Photography Forums
Nothing wrong with it I guess, just interesting.

Due to the nature of my experimental work, it cant make progress if nobody does feedback on my artwork, i hope you understand

the artistic side of my work involves the expression of another person's character thru words and photographs in a sort of improvised triptych format -> Triptych - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the thing is sometimes i see what in my photographs that normally people dont see, especially in asia ... i wonder if i am crazy so i need to prove im not also XD

If I had a nickle for every time...

But you see, Derrel, it's another rule that is meant to be broken for the sake of creating ones own style or trumpeting creativity.

Nah. Just kidding.

when i first started, people keep on telling about rules of third rules of third hahahahah then someone showed me the divine points in photography composition, i forgot which site was it already

since then i have used these imaginary lines and points to compose my shots, i modified the general rule albeit and i think it has helped my shots aesthetically somewhat hahahhha

you have your valid points about creativity and trumpeting styles, im not much of a conformist, this can be a trouble in real life =/

It's impossible for an outsider to be able to tell if you captured a person's essence since they don't know that person. You can only convey glimpses or pieces of the whole. In this case, the images you've presented show a whimsical detached attitude. There's really no photos that engage the subject and the viewer personally. You can smile with her a little or relate to her musings, but you never actually look into her eyes and see who she is.

The soft colors and lighting compliments her features very well. Not sure how intentional that is, but something I noticed.

...and once again, your title has absolutely nothing to do with the images posted.

i find #5 to be sort of awkward... pose, facial expression

i do like #3 though, although i would have had her be on the right side of the frame

I find them somewhat unexposed. I wouldn't use flash but a reflector.

It's impossible for an outsider to be able to tell if you captured a person's essence since they don't know that person. You can only convey glimpses or pieces of the whole. In this case, the images you've presented show a whimsical detached attitude. There's really no photos that engage the subject and the viewer personally. You can smile with her a little or relate to her musings, but you never actually look into her eyes and see who she is.

The soft colors and lighting compliments her features very well. Not sure how intentional that is, but something I noticed.

Yes, then i would compare the impression you got on her thru my work and my impression of her and see how accurate my work actually is =)

thank you very much, she does gives of a whimsical detached vibe but shes more on a fun side, based on my first impression on her person at least XD

thank you, its not entirely intentional =P

...and once again, your title has absolutely nothing to do with the images posted.

Its the model's personal motto =)

i find #5 to be sort of awkward... pose, facial expression

i do like #3 though, although i would have had her be on the right side of the frame

thank you =)

I find them somewhat unexposed. I wouldn't use flash but a reflector.

indeed, i used a silver reflector in this series but maybe the direction i put it is wrong =(

Most reactions

New Topics

Back