One from the park today

Ethang

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, I haven't been taking a lot of pictures lately, not really sure why but today I picked back up my camera after a few weeks of disuse. I went to the park for an hour and was exploring looking for something to photograph when i found a thrown out veteran memorial path sign in an area behind the playground near the lake where a bunch of other garbage was thrown. Seeing this as a potential meaningful photo I started shooting it, playing with setting until I found out theres a cool effect if you use a low flash on the sign if its facing the sun a certain way. Anyway CC would be greatly appreciated as always.

DSC_0037 by Ethang13, on Flickr

I like it, but it could use a bumb up in exposure.

If you like the first (underexposed) one better... I would strongly suggest you need to calibrate your monitor! :)

alright trying to calibrate nose, but judging from the second photo do you generally like the photo? CC would be great if you have the time, if not thanks for the tip to calibrate my monitor- I have never done this before.

Why don't you tell us why you like it? Why is it important to you?

Is this a play on the "nobody cares about veterans" theme? Symbolically thrown out on the dump.. as it were?

hmmm, I suppose that is why I like it, for its symbolic-ness about the veteran sign thrown in the dump. I also liked the photo originally because of how the actual sign looks, with its contrast and reflectivity. I also think the composition is improved from previous photographs, I remember to stay conscious about what is cropped in and out of the photo while framing it, I would have preferred to have the sign farther to the left but that was impossible without either cropping out part of the sign or including distracting background items. Did I accomplish (In your guys opinions) the things that made me like the photo, and if I did does that make it a good photo (In your guys opinions again) or is it lacking something?

hmmm, I suppose that is why I like it, for its symbolic-ness about the veteran sign thrown in the dump. I also liked the photo originally because of how the actual sign looks, with its contrast and reflectivity. I also think the composition is improved from previous photographs, I remember to stay conscious about what is cropped in and out of the photo while framing it, I would have preferred to have the sign farther to the left but that was impossible without either cropping out part of the sign or including distracting background items. Did I accomplish (In your guys opinions) the things that made me like the photo, and if I did does that make it a good photo (In your guys opinions again) or is it lacking something?

I think all the sign shows is that someone cares enough about veterans to replace the old sign with a new sign ... and that they THEN threw the old sign in the dump or whatever.

With the angle you shot at to avoid the reflectivity inherent in that sign material.. the sign is barely visible. The background is busy... and very distracting. The original shot you posted is underexposed. The sign is centered in the composition, and the shot would be have better shot in a vertical format. Personally, I find the shot uninteresting.. just another attempt to play the always popular "veteran" card!

^ I appreciate your honest opinion and thoughts on the shot, thanks for taking time to respond. I forgot to mention in my original post that it was not really a dump, but an area behind the park that a lake ran through, and people just littered there, but for my message to convey itself correctly the shot would have had to shown it without me explaining myself about the matter, so clearly I needed to shows something else in my photo to make people see that. Thanks again for your honesty, the only way for me to improve is for people to be honest so I know what to do better next time (In my opinion of course).

Most reactions

New Topics

Back