One of first shots from my 300D, and a nice sunset

DwainDibley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
One of first shots from my 300D, and a nice sunset. This is my first attempt at putting up pictures here, I'm hoping I get the code right to link to them!

Could probably do with some critiquing on these!

First picture is me playing about with the macro on the Canon 300D/Digital Rebel I've just bought secondhand, I love the camera - quite like this shot too, don't know if I could have gotten in tighter:
649937074_5867e715e0.jpg

And a picture I'm quite fond of, the sun getting low over Stowe Pool in Lichfield, with the 3-spired cathedral in the background. The resolution won't be brilliant with this as it was taken with my old Nokia 3230 cameraphone, 1.2mp but still a pretty good shot:

323186826_a680f5dbc4.jpg

Couple more pictures - btw how do I edit the code so it shows the actual pictures, rather than just links?

Mahon harbour in Minorca, taken a couple of years back with an old 3.2mp Sony Cyber-Shot P&S camera:

323740903_feed071de0.jpg

Taken at Kingsbury Water Park in Warwickshire With a Fuji Finepix 2800 last year. Late afternoon, brief clear period after a generally misty day.
329008950_638008564c.jpg

You can directly post your pictures here by clicking on the little mountain link right above where you type your message and pasting the image link there... you will likely get more response that way.

Enjoy.

You can directly post your pictures here by clicking on the little mountain link right above where you type your message and pasting the image link there... you will likely get more response that way.

Enjoy.
Cheers for that - though it's what I've done, right-clicked on the photo in Flickr, clicked properties, copied the link for the picture, then clicked the little mountain button on the typing dialog box, pasted the link in, then clicked OK. It's put the [ img] and [ /img] (without the spaces) in but just shows the link rather than the picture? Hope that makes sense! :p

You need to take off the ?v=0 from the end of the picture. As far as the pictures are conserned, I can see that you have a good eye. The flower is in focus, the sunset is framed perfectly (could use a little more saturation though), the second sunset is very nice, the last sunset looks like you have oversharpened the trees on the right (at least from the small picture it seems).

Thanks BoblyBill, that's sorted the links out! :D Yes, those pictures are a bit small, the larger versions should be on my Flickr account (Link's in my profile, think I'll put it in my signature too)

Thanks for the comments, though that last picture hasn't been post-processed (none of them have, haven't gotten into that much yet!) and are as they've come out of the camera. I might try putting that first sunset into Photoshop and see if I can play about with the saturation though! :)

:) I think these are nice, my favorite is the third the silhouettes are lovely

(oh and I love your av/name... we named our kitty, Dibley after him :biggrin:)

Heya, Dwain, welcome to ThePhotoForum!

I am not surprised to hear that you have always liked the Sunset-Over-Stowe-Pool photo taken with a CAMERA PHONE :shock: very much. It is really nice! My, what camera phones all can do!!!!

The new 300D-flower pic has some compositional issues, but the focus and choice of aperture look good and the flower you wanted to have in the focus is in focus. But the bright white blotch on the right is quite a bit distracting since our eyes will invariably wander to what is brightest first and make things darker than that kind of secondary. Maybe next time you photograph that flower, you do a bit of a "composition dance" around it and see how you can arrive at a background that will not distract in any way (all green by that big tree, maybe?). And in reply to your question if you should have gone even closer: yes, if your lens allows for that. Yes by all means.
I am not too happy with the flower behind the one in focus seemingly growing right out of the first, though you might have done THAT on purpose?

The Sunset in Mahon is lovely!

All of them are lovely, but that second one really impresses me! I would have never known it was taken with a camera phone if you didn't say. It's an outstanding photo, and that looks like a beautiful place! :) :thumbup:

Thanks for the comments everyone! :D

Composition is one thing I need to work on, when on hliday I think I tended to go for all the conventional angles that everyone else went for, I did try experimenting a bit, though only had a P & S, did try using the rule of thirds for landscapes/sunsets though rather than just sticking the horizon in the middle!

I'm rather pleased with that Stowe Pool sunset too, might be going for a walk round there later weather permitting (it's been doing a lot of raining in the UK though!) and take the 300D with me and take a few more pictures.

It's amazing what cameraphones can do now, imho they're catching up quick with cheaper P & S compact cameras, especially now that 5mp models are coming out. You need never miss a decent shot again if you don't have your camera with you!

Most reactions

Back