One of my first 'Baby' shots

carolthomasburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$RUBY DONE (27).jpg

I don't usually take photos of people - especially babies lol- I like to stick to animals, birds and flowers. But yesterday I decided to try and capture a few photos of my grandchildren with my 'new' camera - I say new as it is to me and I am still learning how to use it properly and what each thing does. This is one of the shots which I then edited in Lightroom. Any criticism is welcome - I need all the help I can get guys as I want to be able to extend my range :) Thanks in advance :)

The face needed to be cleaned up first off ...there is some halo effect around the head the looks like post processing and the hair needed to be slightly styled.....the rug does not work as the edges are dirty....sorry to have to be so critical but others will chime in also LOL ....that is how to learn ....by baths of fire.

Baths of fire are fine with me Mully :) would rather have the honest truth than be mollycoddled and not get things right ..... I edited it with lightroom which is new to me tbh .... The rug is actually a cushion - they had just had their lunch and were playing so I just shot away (more practice than anything) The halo is, I think , more to do with the preset I used and didnt bring the brightness down enough
Thanks for all that though :)

I don't understand why all the photoshop? Photoshop cannot save you.

And that thing the baby is laying on. Looks ummmm, like something from under the sea.... Those harsh shadows on it, aren't helping either.

Don't use your on board flash. If you MUST use it diffuse it either with some tissue or by making a bounce card to push it up instead of straight at the face.
That little one has some gorgeous eyes! She'll make a great model for you to practice on!

$IMG_0130 A.jpg

This is the original photo I took .........
Thanks Philip but as I said Lightroom is new to me ..... I dont usually edit photos to that extent but decided to give it a try as so many people I know are using it for their photos and seem to like it. I' always willing to try something new :)
Thanks MLeek ..... will remember that about the flash :) As you can see from the original it isnt as bright so maybe editing isnt really required that much.
Yes she has gorgeous eyes bless her looking forward to practising some more with her posing as she does :)

View attachment 26557

This is the original photo I took .........
Thanks Philip but as I said Lightroom is new to me ..... I dont usually edit photos to that extent but decided to give it a try as so many people I know are using it for their photos and seem to like it. I' always willing to try something new :)
Thanks MLeek ..... will remember that about the flash :) As you can see from the original it isnt as bright so maybe editing isnt really required that much.
Yes she has gorgeous eyes bless her looking forward to practising some more with her posing as she does :)
The original is much better. You need to youtube some videos on basic lightroom processing. It needs a little bump in the curves and MAYBE a slight bump in exposure, but the original is pretty good. The flash isn't nearly as harsh looking in the original as in your edit.
What version of LR are you using?

Ignoring the pin-point catch lights, on board flash kills any chance of baby picture looking good by removing all the shadows that make skin look real.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back