One of my first photos, literally (Stevie Ray Vaughan Statue).

OfMikeandMen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
$tumblr_mjinuauatz1s8nfc4o1_1280.jpg
My step-dad asked me for a picture of the SRV statue in Austin, so I took this picture for him. I am brand-new to photography, but I figure the best way to get better is to read what people have to say. This is, literally, one of my first serious photos. That is, one not done just messing around, or as a child, etc. That said, provide me with feedback, please! Good or bad! Thanks, and enjoy :)

It's kind of hard to see much detail in the statue, due to a lack of light on it. Pretty good skyline shot, however.

My step-dad commented on the skyline more than the statue, haha. I had brighter ones, but it gave too much lens flare (I think that's the word I'm looking for, correct me if I'm wrong). I decided to shoot it at night (it was about 1030p) for the city lights and to mess around with my exposure settings. I was also focused more on the skyline as well, at least in this photo. Do you have any suggestions to get proper lighting without a flash and not too much lens flare? Thanks for responding :)

My step-dad commented on the skyline more than the statue, haha. I had brighter ones, but it gave too much lens flare (I think that's the word I'm looking for, correct me if I'm wrong). I decided to shoot it at night (it was about 1030p) for the city lights and to mess around with my exposure settings. I was also focused more on the skyline as well, at least in this photo. Do you have any suggestions to get proper lighting without a flash and not too much lens flare? Thanks for responding :)

Was your camera on a tripod? You said you have images with the stature properly exposed as well? If both images were taken from the same place on a tripod you could merge them in post to create one image with the statue and the skyline both properly exposed.

You could always go back and bring a lantern to illuminate the statue.

I wish I could see more detail in the statue as well. I really like the skyline, the exposure looks good to me.

I don't have photo shop on this laptop, yet. But, thanks for the input and ideas. I think the reason why the statue is dark is because my laptop screen is so bright. I've noticed on other formats: my phone, tablet, desktop, and even my camera, that the image is significantly darker. However, on the computer I uploaded it too, it's significantly brighter. I printed out a 5x7 and noticed that the print, also, was very dark. The skyline looks awesome, but I cannot see the statue. Thanks again for all the feedback, I think I am going to try going back with a lantern. :)

Was your camera on a tripod? You said you have images with the stature properly exposed as well? If both images were taken from the same place on a tripod you could merge them in post to create one image with the statue and the skyline both properly exposed.

It was on a tripod, but I don't have a way to merge them.

Most reactions

Back