One Photo 3 Ways - VOTE

Thanks for the votes everyone! :) Yes sm4him, I see why you are "mostly harmless". Obviously, if I'm just learning Lightroom, I have a very long way to go before I would consider taking photographs for profit. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

:raisedbrow: Now I'm wondering if I said something that WASN'T harmless. :lmao:

Obviously, if I'm just learning Lightroom, I have a very long way to go before I would consider taking photographs for profit. I appreciate everyone's opinions.

Much to the dismay of many of us here, it is NOT in fact obvious that just because you're just learning LR, you aren't taking photographs for profit...or, I should say, for money, as few of the folks I'm referring to actually MAKE any profit. :lol:
I am glad to hear, however, that such is not the case with you.

Since these are not for a paying client--how well do you know the person you took them for? You do NOT want to mess with a momma (or daddy's) perceived view of their young'un! I think I'd be inclined to just give them the first one, nice and safe processing that THEY can interpret however they want. The exception would be if I knew them well enough to KNOW it wouldn't insult them to show them a picture of their child that has really drawn out the poor, neglected look. That's my 1.75 cents' worth.

I like #1. #2 looks washed out in the shadows, and vibrant in the highlight: which to the skilled shooter, screams out "poorly-matched effect processing!". #3, similar--excessively blown white shirt, no detail in the shadowed eye, and just basically, crudely boosted contrast, which also hints at an effect or pre-set that is not refined for the underlying image. Your mileage may vary.

Funny how it seems clearly apparent that #1 is how I usually edit. I agree the brown on the left of #3 is odd. I'd lighten that area like I did on #1. I just feel like light and bright all the time is sort of banal. Maybe that's why out of this newborn shoot- I was drawn to this one "moody" image, LOL. These are very good friends of mine. One of the first times I've ever done a shoot that wasn't my own children. I do appreciate everyone "votes".

sm4him, I don't mean to be tenderhearted. It's just hard the very first time you put work out there to hear how others honestly view it. I mean, it's good too. Of course constructive criticism is necessary, especially in a forum like this, if we want to grow. It is entirely my own fault if comments like "ignoring the fact that I don't like the chopped off head or the landscape orientation here" make me want to cry. ;)

And in the end, we did get some smiles out of Little Miss Big Sis.

Attachments

• $familyweb.jpg
    $familyweb.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 71
ok, ok, this is #3 with the weird thing gone! :lmao:

Attachments

• $4web.jpg
    $4web.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 89
A lone voice in the wilderness for #2, but with a slightly better mix to unblock the shadows, and done in sepia.

The feeling of the images Per Edit:

#1 - You stole my cookie

#2 - Sad/depressed

#3 - Leave me alone

Most reactions

Back