One strobe set-up

Inlights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.inlights.ca
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm not that new to photography, but new to studio lighting. I have a client that has a beautiful Victorian gown that she would like photos of with her wearing it. The location is Banff Springs Hotel. I only have one strobe (AB800) and a shoot thru umbrella. My question is, considering she wants a full body photograph, should i use window light and the strobe for fill or just use the strobe? If I just use the strobe im worried about fall-off. Also what kind of set up should I use? I would love some feed back on my dilemma. Thanks.

That hotel has a large function room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake. Wait until there is no direct sunlight spilling into the room and use those windows as your main light. A reflector for fill and you're set to go.

Last edited:
That hotel has a large function room with floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake. Wait until there is no direct sunlight spilling into the room and use those windows as your main light. A reflector for fill and you're set to go.
Thanks for the quick reply. So you wouldn't use a strobe at all, just a reflector. What if I use my strobe and a reflector or would that complicate things?

If you're confident with your strobe and reflector, then probably not. But it would be lighter and easier to manage with just a reflector. However, if you brought the AB just in case, you could vary the shots.

If you're confident with your strobe and reflector, then probably not. But it would be lighter and easier to manage with just a reflector. However, if you brought the AB just in case, you could vary the shots.
Ok. I will bring my ab800 and vary the shots. As for reflectors, I don't own one any suggestions?

Most 5 in 1 cheapo collapsable reflector will do the job. Since you're doing full body the bigger the better. Now if you were to spend a little cash i'd go for a 41x74" white oval reflector.

Most 5 in 1 cheapo collapsable reflector will do the job. Since you're doing full body the bigger the better. Now if you were to spend a little cash i'd go for a 41x74" white oval reflector.
What's a little money? 100?

Most reactions

Back