Online art galleries

I don't actually know of any. There are places that sell posters, and there are photographers that sell their prints on-line, but all the galleries I know of still deal in the brick and mortar world. I think a lot of buyers want to see the actual print before they buy it. You are often talking about a hefty investment, often several hundred dollars.

I've been out of it for a while, but if you are looking to market more to the mainstream than collectors, then I think the places that do poster prints would be a better choice than a gallery.

markc said:
I don't actually know of any. There are places that sell posters, and there are photographers that sell their prints on-line, but all the galleries I know of still deal in the brick and mortar world. I think a lot of buyers want to see the actual print before they buy it. You are often talking about a hefty investment, often several hundred dollars.

I've been out of it for a while, but if you are looking to market more to the mainstream than collectors, then I think the places that do poster prints would be a better choice than a gallery.
Ok, that makes a lot sense. I did a search and found some art galleries near me that'll I pay visits to. :thumbup:

It can be a tough business to try selling that way. You can end up with a lot of money tied up in prints and frames, since it's all basically consignment. Galleries will usually take a cut. I think 30%-50% isn't uncommon. The ones I've worked with have been 30%. A good way to start to get your work into galleries is to answer calls for work. They will often put on shows and advertise that they are looking for work to be entered. If it's juried, a group of people will go through the images to see which get in the show. Some shows can hang for months. Go to as many show openings as you can to network with the gallery owners and the other photographers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back