online photography courses?

Micah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Since deciding to get serious about photography, I have been reading everthing I can find online. I cant get enough. I'm learning alot, but its all random bits and pieces picked up here and there. Are any of the online courses worth the money?

in my opinion, the only way to get better is to just get out there and keep takin pictures. photography courses will help a little by getting familiar with the terminology and the functions with a camera. ive had photography courses through high school and college for my graphics design degree, and your homework mainly consists of you getting out there and taking tons of pictures. you may not realize but since you said you are learning a lot from your own research you are basically giving yourself a free course in photography. you will learn just as much if not more doing your own research and getting out there getting to know your gear and just getting a feel for what works and what doesn't. but thats my opinion, hope that helps.

Since deciding to get serious about photography, I have been reading everthing I can find online. I cant get enough. I'm learning alot, but its all random bits and pieces picked up here and there. Are any of the online courses worth the money?

you should do NYIP.com

they offer alot for the money!! they send you all the material and everything!!!

its actually pretty good!!

My personal advice is that if your keen and enthusiastic and have time to spend playing and using the camera then I would stick to learning through free lines online - post photos on forums for crits and advice. Surf round a few at the same time to increase your chances of good comments and to broaden your inputs - also sometimes is worth to seek out a forum or community dedicated to a specific area of your interest with photography - like sports or portrates - that way you can get in touch with some really expert people in a specific area.
Also look to finding and joining a local photography club or local photography forums, that is a great way to get out and meet real people in the field and to shoot with them in the same light and conditions - many photographers have little to no problem in helping others learn the game.

If your willing to pay I would advise looking at workshops nad courses where you get in person tuition - online is always going to be retrospective in its application, the tutor cannot be in the field with you to shoot and advise. This is also important because one cannot convey what the shooting conditions were like through words alone - you can give a general idea, but not specifics which gets a bit limiting with advice - if the tutor is there with you they know the light, they will know the limits of what is possible and what is not.

For places like NYIP.com, do you just submit your pictures online for your teacher to grade?

No how it works is all your assignment you do...you actually have to mail it in to them The postage and everyting is paid for....you also have phone session when you need to. you can call them with any question and they will walk through it like they are suppose to.

you can learn through free online stuff....just depend on how fast your trying to understand the concept. This school is like i think about 8 month if you self pace your self at least one to two assignment each month.

Most reactions

Back