lamar328

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.gavinf.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey
I'm looking to purchase the Sigma 50MM 1.4 for my Nikon soon. I have a local store which is selling it for $699 in Canada. The same store but situated in the U.S. is selling for $649. All seemed okay, but then I checked Amazon and found the lens for $499. Even with shipping and handling, along with any other fees probably tacked on I'm still paying less than the store price at home.
Should I be hesitant about purchasing online, or am I seriously just finding a decent deal here?

For simplicities sake, assume that I'm buying in the states and lets not worry about shipping to Canada yet. Still, the camera is $150 cheaper online and with shipping it will be about $120 cheaper than buying in store.

Last edited:
Amazon is usually a pretty safe website from which to purchase gear.

I have used them several times for photography equipment and other things.

I buy most of my photography stuff online. It's pretty safe if you stick with well-known companies (Adorama, B & H, Amazon, etc.).

Always check "Reseller Ratings" when purchasing from an online company with which you are not familiar.

I have bought multiple lenses from Amazon. I do however check to make sure that he lenses are being bought directly from Amazon and not someone selling stuff on Amazon.

It does appear that the Sigma lens you're talking about is however sold directly by Amazon. I would not hesitate purchasing from them. They also handle returns very well (I have not used this for camera lenses but other items).

Can I ask, why [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-50mm-Nikon-Digital-Cameras/dp/B0018ZDGAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266241398&sr=1-1"]Sigma_50mm_1.4[/ame] ($499) over [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-50mm-1-4G-Digital-Cameras/dp/B001GCVA0U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1266241168&sr=1-2"]Nikon_50mm_1.4[/ame] ($439)?

Just curious, since I had my eye on the Nikon 50 mm 1.4 as a future purchase.

Thanks, Ralph

the sigma supposedly bests both canon's and nikon's 50 1.4's. when its time to upgrade my canon 50 1.8 i'll also be going with the sigma.

i've ordered most everything i have from amazon (flashes, 50d body, tamron 17-50 2.8, batteries, bags, etc) and have never had an issue with shipment time or packing. i have a prime membership as well so i get free 2 day shipping or $3.99/item overnighted. in this regard amazon has saved me a ton of money.

I, too, have ordered many items from Amazon and saved money doing it. As, Lucky says always check reseller ratings. Go for it and enjoy.

There are many reputable places that deal with Amazon, but always check to see where the item is coming from (should show next to the item somewhere).

Sigma_50mm_1.4[/URL] ($499) over Nikon_50mm_1.4 ($439)?

Thanks, Ralph

Ey Ralph... and everyone who replied actually!

Well first to answer your question, as Chammer had stated just below your post, the Sigma 50 1.4 seems to reign over the Nikon or Canon 50 1.4 . I was actually seriously looking into the Nikon 1.4g when I stumbled across a forum talking about the Sigma. I still have to do a quick field test to make sure I really like it, but I'm pretty much sold on the Sigma by the sharpness of photo's it can take. The only downside seems to be the amount of people complaining about small tech errors occasionally. I figure that I'll put up with calibration issues here and there if it means a better picture in the end.

Now for everyone else...
well thanks! I just figured that saving a couple hundred on a lens was sort of too good to be true, but it is true!

Awesome.

thanks a bunch

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sigma_50mm_1.4[/URL] ($499) over Nikon_50mm_1.4 ($439)?

Thanks, Ralph

Ey Ralph... and everyone who replied actually!

Well first to answer your question, as Chammer had stated just below your post, the Sigma 50 1.4 seems to reign over the Nikon or Canon 50 1.4 . I was actually seriously looking into the Nikon 1.4g when I stumbled across a forum talking about the Sigma. I still have to do a quick field test to make sure I really like it, but I'm pretty much sold on the Sigma by the sharpness of photo's it can take. The only downside seems to be the amount of people complaining about small tech errors occasionally. I figure that I'll put up with calibration issues here and there if it means a better picture in the end.

Now for everyone else...
well thanks! I just figured that saving a couple hundred on a lens was sort of too good to be true, but it is true!

Awesome.

thanks a bunch

Thanks,

The 50mm 1.4 was in the back of my mind as a future purchase so I have not yet fully researched it. Clearly, I also need to consider the Sigma.

BTW, I also use the Amazon prime service that chammer mentioned. I'm impatient when I order new equipment, and free 2-day and $4 overnight shipping is great. :D

Thanks, Ralph

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I use Amazon for most of my new-equipment photography purchases. I make sure the item is coming from Amazon and not one of the Amazon Marketplace vendors. I've had excellent service from them.

I have purchased through Amazon.com in several ways:
  • with Amazon fulfilling the order (the safeest)
  • with a known camera store fulfilling the order (usually as safe as Amazon doing fulfillment)
  • with an unknown, but checked through resellerratings.com, camera stores (same a above)
  • and, with eyes wide open, from private parties. (usually a judgement call)
I buy most of my photography gear and supplies through B&H Photo Video in New York City. www.bhphotovideo.com

You really can't go wrong with what is mentioned here
N.gif
N.gif

It is very common for local stores to sell higher. In OKC a local store was selling nikon 50 f/1.8's for 170 and only you can get it for 120 or so

Most reactions

New Topics

Back