Only in Alaska

Geronimo

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
It's a bird. It's a plane. No, it's a bull moose hanging by its antlers from an electrical power line in the middle of the Alaska wilderness.

In one of those only-in-Alaska stories that will shock even the sourest of sourdoughs, a trophy-sized bull moose was accidentally strung up in a power line under construction to the Teck Pogo gold mine southeast of Fairbanks. The moose apparently got its antlers tangled in electrical wire before workers farther down the line pulled the line tight about two weeks ago.

The moose was suspended 50 feet in the air when workers, recognizing something was wrong, backtracked and found it.

The moose was alive when it was lowered to the ground but was later killed when officials from the Alaska Department of Fish and Game decided against tranquilizing it to remove the wires because they were worried the moose, already stressed, would die and the meat would not be salvageable as a result of the drugs.

20041017_TOP_TONE.JPG

Story

Maybe I am jaded but I dont see anything really wrong with this. I mean that it was not good the moose got tangled in the lines but hey sh#t happens. Guess I was wondering what other peoples reaction were going to be.

@Heather
spaghetti with moose meatballs is the best. I have a few other recipes for moose that beats beef or the other tradiontal meat easily.

:shock: <- my reaction

I haven't had moose, but I had alaskan salmon from a friends freezer from his rv expediations which is tasty

Well, I do feel for the moose. What a stress to be suspended from that high for so long!

That they put it out of its misery do produce some good from its very bad fate is better than letting it die and rot - so I'm with Geronimo here: While the beginning of the story is one of very bad fate, the end is kind of better than death for no reason.

Aww poor moose!...

I think humans are so cruel sometimes...

The way I see it - how would we like to be stuck up a power pole... and then shot to be eaten - like no one cares?

It could have been a female who had babies to go home to... And now they might all starve...

Very sad.

Mmmmm .....Moose meat......Drat only have a few steaks left in the freezer.

That is an odd story, kind of funny in a morbid way (chances of something like that happening are incredable). I think they did the right thing, why waste food.

Where I live there is a system whereby one can put there name on a list with the provincal police. Once on the list if there is a moose that is killed in a accident, the police will call the person too inform them that they can to pick up the moose.

I only have a fridge freezer and a compact car so I am not on the list.

One has to be carefull driving here in the evening has there are many moose and hitting a moose can be Hazardous to your health :wink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back