Only in Canada?

WesternGuy

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This isn't a wildlife picture, but rather some wildlife humour. The valley between the first and second ranges of the Rockies in my part of the world is referred to locally as Kananaskis Country and is a popular area for hikers in both summer and winter. Apparently, at one of the parking lots for one of the more popular hiking/snow shoeing areas, the moose have discovered that they can lick the salt off vehicles. For those who may not know, a salt/sand mixture is used on the roads to melt ice during the winter and I guess the moose like the taste of "dirty, snowy salt". Anyway, our devoted government Parks and Recreation dept. have decided that it is appropriate to warn folks of this wildlife hazard. I had a good laugh when I saw this and thought it would be appropriate to share it with folks here. :biggrin-93:

If the mods don't think this is appropriate, then please feel free to remove this posting.

WesternGuy

warning-bigger.jpg

I like the "Polar Bear Alert" sign - I use it as an avatar sometimes.

Ha ha @ Do Not Attempt To Push Moose Away From Vehicle While On Foot. I wonder if it would be considered " baiting " to park your salt covered vehicle in the middle of a moose hunting area?:biglaugh:

I've looked and looked, but I've never actually seen a moose in Kananaskis. For such large animals, they hide pretty well.

Ha ha @ Do Not Attempt To Push Moose Away From Vehicle While On Foot. I wonder if it would be considered " baiting " to park your salt covered vehicle in the middle of a moose hunting area?:biglaugh:
I guess you would have to ask Mr. Ranger. :biggrin-93:

WesternGuy

I've looked and looked, but I've never actually seen a moose in Kananaskis. For such large animals, they hide pretty well.
I average one about every 5 years or so, but you are right, they are illusive. Guess you will have to "salt up" your car and park in the Burstall Pass parking area off the Smith-Dorrien road. :biggrin-93:.

I have had my most sitings around the Lakes area and usually in the fall or winter.

I will definitely have to go down there in the next few weeks - photo-op and all that. I do wonder, though, how they "learned" about licking salt off of cars.

WesternGuy

Most reactions

New Topics

Back