oooh, my first one for 'critique'

Camper Dave

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagestack.co.uk
this was taken at the tidal crossing to the holy island, on the east coast of england, about a month ago. i quite like it, but what do you think? it was quite a dull, murky day so unfortunately the colours aren't very varied (it was taken on fuji 400 film btw, but can't remember the camera settings).

anyhow, any comments/critisism welcome :)

holy8.jpg

cheers,
dave

cheers for the comments. i've had a quick play on photoshop and come up with this:

holyb.jpg

i did very few alterations but it seems to have made quite a difference (although my monitor colour is a bit out so might not look quite right to others :oops: ) :)

I think it might have a little more impact if you move the horizon up from the center of the picture. A polarizer might have given the sky a bit more impact.
Good shot!

I liked the first better, I think that subtle colors are underated. It could be a tad lighter but I dont think you should change the contrast or saturation.

cheers for the comments guys,

i'll have a play with the cropping etc and see what happens. unfortunately the sky was that bland when i took the photo :(

thanks,
dave :D

Camper Dave said:
cheers for the comments guys,

i'll have a play with the cropping etc and see what happens. unfortunately the sky was that bland when i took the photo :(

thanks,
dave :D

i like the subtle colours here too, general i try to avoid using levels like the plague because the blanch out the colours. Looks like you may have used a bit too much of contrast which blew out the sky in the in the 2nd image.

The sky here is quite workable, as its not blown out (in the second image it is). What you need to do is create a mask of the sky and apply either multiply mask or colour burn mask, or perhaps a couple of layers of both. I will really give sky here a bit more definition.

thanks for the info. i'm kinda new to photoshop so i'll have a good play with it this weekend. also noticed the photoshop forum yesterday, very handy :)

cheers,
dave

This might be a departure from your intent for the photo, but what about making it black and white? And maybe making the composition a little more interesting?

Like so:
holy8_edit.jpg

Just an option. I'm pretty new to this, but I kind of like that version a little better.

Daniel

DanielK said:
This might be a departure from your intent for the photo, but what about making it black and white? And maybe making the composition a little more interesting?

Like so:
holy8_edit.jpg

Just an option. I'm pretty new to this, but I kind of like that version a little better.

Daniel

Yep! you pulled it off. I like this version better, also.
I like the building structure being placed in a third quatrant.
I like the foreground occupying the 1st 1/3 horizontal.
I like the two lines converging at the horizon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back