Opinion on a beginner camera

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, well im VERYY new to photography, so yah haha give me a break if i seem like an ignorant person, but everyones gotta start somewhere?
Well, money isnt too flowing right now, and im looking for a good beginner camera
Soo, hows this? Kodak - EasyShare 14.0-Megapixel Digital Camera - Black - Z981 Black
I dont know if its a terrible camera or an exceptional one, but yah, like i said, i dont have lots of money to spend right off the bat, im going to save and dedicate what i need for it.
Thankyou ,
Anthony

reznap

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
It's not horrible but it has many constraints. You'll be limited with what you can do with it and if you get serious at all about taking photos, you'll quickly outgrow it. I would look into an entry level DSLR. Try to find either a Nikon D3000 or a Rebel XS on your local craigslist. I see deals on these types of cameras often in the Cleveland area.

Here's a new XS on amazon Amazon.com: Canon Rebel XS 10.1MP Digital SLR Camera with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens (Black): Camera & Photo: Reviews, Prices & more
But you'll see they have used ones in the low $400 range.
On craigslist you might find one for $300. Also don't be afraid to buy refurbished - they are QC'd (well... twice) by Canon's people so they're good to go.

Please don't drop $300 on a kodak point and shoot/bridge camera though - please.
Also, a 10.1 megapixel image on the Canon will blow away a 14 megapixel shot on the Kodak with its tiny sensor and soft lens.

OP
Ajlista

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Alrighty, ill keep looking, thankgod i checked in with you guys before i got it haha, cause as little i do know now, i do want to kinda get serious about
Thanks, ill look on craigslist
Anthony : )

GooniesNeverSayDie11

Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
I agree with reznap. You should be able to get a used xs with kit lens for around 300 and it will be leaps and bounds ahead of that kodak with a lot less limitations.

reznap

Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Get the rebel... the bigger sensor size is the main reason why it's so much better. Trust us on this one.

o hey tyler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yeah, get the XS. Srsly.

Xavi

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit

Well that's the same one that Reznap already suggested except it is just the body and no lens. The Canon SX20 you posted before is a much better camera than the Kodak you posted in your 1st post. However, like Reznap already mentioned, the XS is a much better alternative to the Kodak and it only costs few more bucks. I'd also say it is better than the Canon SX20 because with an DSLR you have the option of changing lenses whereas the SX20 is a fixed-lens camera. Depending on how far you want to take your interest in photography, I'd also recommend you invest your money in a camera like the Rebel XS because chances are that you will also outgrow a camera like the SX20 in time.

SX20 = $350 DSLR Rebel XS= $400, save your money and invest in the slr.

OP
Ajlista

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Im gunna go with the rebel, and invest into some attachments could you guys reccomend any good attachments?

OP
Ajlista

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Alright,
thanks guys : ) I appreciate your help
I got a feeling im going to like it here xD

keethjon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
easybasicphotography.com
Photos OK to edit
The type camera you buy should depend on what you plan on doing with it. If you are just going to take a photo every now and then, just about any compact digital camera should work. (especially if you are on a budget) If you really get into photography, its true you might outgrow it quickly. However, just in case you dont follow thru with lots of pics and your interest dwindles, you will not have invested much.

Keith
http://easybasicphotography.com

Last edited:
OP
Ajlista

Ajlista

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Photos OK to edit
Well, personally i dont have a job, im 14, so i save up whatever money i get for stuff, unlike most kids who just spend it, i dont want to ask my parents, money isnt so easy now, and i understand my parents have bills to pay, and i dont want to take their money, so the money i have, is what i have to work with.
And i do want to get serious with it. And not just take pictures here and there

enzodm

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Photos OK to edit
Well, personally i dont have a job, im 14,
And i do want to get serious with it. And not just take pictures here and there

Ideal age for learning! ;)
From cameras you linked here, it seems to me that you do not know the difference between DSLR (like the Rebel) and compacts (point&shoot, bridge, like the other two). If you go DSLR, it becomes essential to know how photography is made, and how is made your camera; if you do not like that, you might as well decide to just take pictures here and there with a compact camera, spending much less.
So, as you are saving money, my advice is to do soon a first small investment in a photography book, to understand functioning before buying. By the way, this will help you in discovering the fascinating part of photography.
I'm not able to suggest you a specific book, as I am on the other side of the ocean, with different options. Some other forum member will certainly suggest the right reading.

Most reactions

ClickASnap