Opinion on Best $1000 SLR Camera

Deviant26

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I looking into upgrading from a general digital to a digital SLR, I dont know to much about them, but I know the digital isnt cutting it anymore and I am looking to eventually become a freelance photographer. So I need something good. Around the $1000 dollar mark.

I dont want any video, or anything else unessesary like that.
I like taking scenic and wildlife, as well as being able to do some people. Macro for sure.

Please tell me what you have and if it's what you wanted.
And also what you think is the most important thing when buying a camera.
Basically tell me what you think is the best camera for that price range

I understand you all have your preferences, so please no debating, I want all your opinions. From there I can make my own.

Thanks a lot.

Deviant26

Welcome to the forum.

There are a few very good cameras that should suit your needs. Canon Rebel XT or Canon 20D. Nikon D70(s) or D50. Pentax *istD. Minolta & Olympus also have a DSLR model.

Unless you already have some lenses or a brand preference, I'd stick with Canon or Nikon. They seem to be on the cutting edge and have the best selection of lenses.

I've got a Canon 20D and I love it. It was more expensive than the Rebel XT but I like the size, feel and layout of the 20D much better. It also has a sturdier build and a few extra features over the XT. I believe it's the same when you compare the D70 to the D50, although I read an article about the D50 and while low on features, it was rated very high in terms of performance and image quality.

Once you enter the world of modern SLR cameras...you will find that the lenses are just as or more important than the camera body. Lenses will hold their value very well compared to the body, since you can continue to use then on newer cameras. Good lenses are very expensive though, much more so than entry level DSLR cameras. Keep this in mind with your budget. Not that you have to get an expensive lens right away (or at all)...but you will want one sooner or later.

As always, the best thing to do is to go into a camera store and try out the cameras in question. See which one feels good in your hands.

>>Unless you already have some lenses or a brand preference, I'd stick with Canon or >>Nikon. They seem to be on the cutting edge and have the best selection of lenses.

i agree... but on the other hand, minolta's DigiSLR has a good price ~and~ it has in-body image stabilizing . If I were not so heavily invested in Canon or Nikon, I'd take a serious look at Minolta's offerings. Pared up with some good and carefully chosen Sigma and Tamron lenses, it can be a system with lots of potential.

:thumbup: Great info Mike thx i'll look into those.
usayit do you know of any negatives the Minolta has?

thx again for your time guys.

Anyone else?

I have been an avid film photographer and used a nikon F80. I recently switched to a D70s, the replacement for the D70 for about the same price. you should be able to get a D70s with a memory card and kit lens for around $1000. Ebay's always a good bet, i got mine from there. just to "warn" you, nikon will be releasing a new camera hopefully in the coming months - the D200 which will be over $1000 but well worth thinking about.

Big Mike said:
As always, the best thing to do is to go into a camera store and try out the cameras in question. See which one feels good in your hands.

If you look at the specs you will probably find that particular brands and models may do specific things slightly better than the next, but at the $1000 mark DSLRs all produce similar quality images, and Mike's advice is good. Find the one that feels right, and start shooting. If you intend to keep up with new technology you'll be buying a new camera every 3 years or less anyway. ;)

I can only comment on the two DSLR's that I've used. Those being the D70s and the D50. To me, the D70 was too big, bulky, heavy and too expensive. But I liked it all the same and once I felt it in my hands I knew I wanted one :blushing: Doing a little research I came across the D50 and knew I'd met my camera. It's smaller and lighter than the D70 and you save hundreds because of a few missing features that I would never use anyway. It's a fantastic camera that I don't hesitate to recommend.

Side note: While researching DSLRs one thing that kept coming up that bothered me was that Minolta offered the image stabilization, but I wasn't able to find good examples of it in use anywhere. Also, it seemed to me that Nikon had more lenses available than Canon did.

Happy shopping :)

>>>
Side note: While researching DSLRs one thing that kept coming up that bothered me was that Minolta offered the image stabilization, but I wasn't able to find good examples of it in use anywhere. Also, it seemed to me that Nikon had more lenses available than Canon did.
<<

ask and you shall receive... well almost... this is with the 7D. 5d is under $1000 but I haven't heard anything about it.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04092807kminolta7dsamps.asp

I agree with them.. the 1/15 sec @ 75mm looks pretty good. Both Canon and Nikon have a wide array of lenses that can keep anyone happy. I wouldn't get worked up just by numbers alone.

I have a maxxum 7 (35mm)but my wife has a maxxum 7D. One of the first things we tested was the Image Stabilizing feature when she got it. It seems to work very well. She used to take pictures of me with my 35mm at the track,(I road race motorcycles) because I like to enlarge the good ones. The problem was because of the 300mm lens and the high speed motorcycles you need a good tripod. So if she saw a better vantage piont she would have to pick up and move, by the time she gets set back up a session could be over. Anyways with the 7D, no tripod, more variety of shots, and pics just as good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back