Opinion Please - Versatile 35mm Colour Film

Thanks for all of your help thus far, from the opinions posted here and from research done online it seems the majority of people love Kodak Portra however I am not sure about its look. To me, it looks slightly vintage in the sense that the colours seem ever so slightly washed out. This could be a completely incorrect view as I am new to film and haven't personally shot Portra.

I guess its a case of getting a few rolls and trying it out for myself, I guess I can always slightly increase the saturation in post in Capture One. I was looking for something with a similar look to Kodachrome, is there any other films I should be considering?

If you are looking for something along the lines of Kodachrome, then you're entering the world of slide film, and that is definitely not the tolerant, versatile film you're looking for! Fuji Velvia is a slide film.

But if you want to stick with color negative film (which I would to start with) and you want the more saturated look, then Ektar is probably your best bet.

Definitely get a few rolls of each and put them through their paces. Try to shoot a roll of one and then another recreating the first roll as closely as you can. That way you can compare them in similar situations and it will give you a better idea of how each of them behaves.

The Portra never seemed washed out to me, but I also am not a huge fan of super saturated, so again, it all comes down to personal preference. Depending on what you're looking at, you might also be seeing some pictures with lowered contrast, which can make colors seem more muted. Lower contrast seems to be a thing at the moment.

Most reactions

Back