Opinions needed......

Crimsonandwhite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Like always, I need you guys to tell me if this sucks or not :) Let me know what you like or what you would have done different!

Claw.jpg

It's a very good shot, but I would maybe crop the left, top and bottom a tiny tiny tiny bit, just to bring him a tad closer, and give his face/eyes a good sharpen, just seems a tad out of focus to me, but don't over do it, maybe a slight sharpen of whole face, then a bit more on the eyes, but remember don't over do it, That is all I can spot myself but someone more professional will be able to tell you more, I'm just a newbie really, hope that helped =)

I'd say it sucks. Compression halos. Gray/Yellow skin. No shadow detail. Squinty eyes.

Simplify the background. It's too cluttered without contributing anything to the story. Obliterate details with shallow DOF, or better yet, move the subject to a plainer background, or find a different angle of view.

The vignette is kind of heavy for my taste.

The skin tone is not flattering. I'd stick to normal color or go BW.

His pose is sort of slumped. Make him sit up straight, or lean forward and look slightly up to the camera. That would have a slimming effect. Try not to shoot heavy set people from below. From this angle of view the thighs and crotch are emphasized as much as the face. Have him bring the cup and hand up, and crop out the crotch and thighs.

Go with side lighting. Twist your 430EX around to the side and bounce the light off the wall. Or maybe angle it up and to the side. You might be amazed at how much difference this makes. Try sticking a white index card on your flash with a rubber band to help control where the light is bouncing (google "a better bounce card" for more details).

Lower your shutter speed to get a bit more ambient exposure in the background. It looks a bit dark, although some of that is the vignette.

The shirt is completely detail-less except for the logo. There's a haze on the shirt edges, almost like you painted it darker. I want to see more cloth detail, and a whole lot less emphasis on the logo. The logo is the brightest, sharpest, high contrast area of the photo, and that makes it the focal point. I want the face to be the focal point.

One thing to keep in mind, it's alright to allow snapshots to remain snapshots. Trying to turn them into something they aren't often creates more problems. On the other hand, if you want it to be more than a snapshot most of the problems need to be solved before the exposure is made. It's much easier to fix them with forethought than in PS. Force yourself to plan out the portrait ahead of time, and it will quickly become second nature.

KS- Thank you very much for your thoughts! You are exactly right it was a snap shot at a baby shower and I was trying to make it into something that it was not. My friend has never had a good picture made of him and this was by far one of the best, mainly b/c he has a bad attitude anytime a camera is pointed at him, but that is another story for another day.

You are right, I dodged the shirt on purpose, I was trying to take some pounds off of him and in the OG there is a lot of lines that shows the weight. I also tucked in his neck a bit to take some weight off.

All in all you are 100% correct, I need to work harder before I hit the shutter.....thanks again, constructive crit is always what I need!

I was trying to take some pounds off of him...

Have him perch with his butt on the edge of the chair, straighten his back, lean forward just a bit, and look up to the camera. And bounce the flash. They often say the camera adds 10 lbs; it's not the camera, it's direct front lighting.

...mainly b/c he has a bad attitude anytime a camera is pointed at him...

I cure my friends' bad attitude by making sure they see the photos where they are sneering or flinching from the camera. I say "Look, I'm taking the picture whether you cooperate or not. With a little help from you next time we can do better, or you're always going to look like an ugly dork." ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back