opinions on macro lenses

I guess the price is a big thing swaying me right now. I just dont think im going to use it enough to justify spending $500+ on one. That's why the 60mm is so attractive at around $225.

I just bought a Macro lens the Nikon 60mm 2.8G.
Just like you I was looking for its older sibling the 2.8D as its a very good capable lens but the avarage price that I found was over 300$ so since it was very close to the G version in price I decided to get the G.
I bought it about a week and a half ago for 390$, its fantasticaly sharp both in Macro and regular use, its a great portrait lens for a crop sensor camera.
The relatively small focal length is indeed a bit of a draw back if you shoot bugs but other then that its a wonderful lens.
I was debating if to get it or an other longer lens but decided to get it and I am glad I did, for my needs it perfect, a longer focal length Macro lens will mean I can use it for Macro and MAcro alone while I wanted a lens I can use for various needs and it does that with flying colours.

Any length macro lens can be used for any purpose you want... so I don't understand that statement?

I guess the price is a big thing swaying me right now. I just dont think im going to use it enough to justify spending $500+ on one. That's why the 60mm is so attractive at around $225.

Just like you I was looking for its older sibling the 2.8D as its a very good capable lens but the avarage price that I found was over 300$ so since it was very close to the G version in price I decided to get the G.
I bought it about a week and a half ago for 390$, its fantasticaly sharp both in Macro and regular use, its a great portrait lens for a crop sensor camera.
The relatively small focal length is indeed a bit of a draw back if you shoot bugs but other then that its a wonderful lens.
I was debating if to get it or an other longer lens but decided to get it and I am glad I did, for my needs it perfect, a longer focal length Macro lens will mean I can use it for Macro and MAcro alone while I wanted a lens I can use for various needs and it does that with flying colours.

Any length macro lens can be used for any purpose you want... so I don't understand that statement?

I will explain.........

On my D7100 the 60mm is acting as 90mm which is a great portrait length, for my taste it also acts like a good carry around lens, any wider and I wouldnt use it as a carry around and use it only for macro.
It really is a matter of personal taste and not about the optics capability to be used in different scenarios.

I will explain.........

On my D7100 the 60mm is acting as 90mm which is a great portrait length, for my taste it also acts like a good carry around lens, any wider and I wouldnt use it as a carry around and use it only for macro.
It really is a matter of personal taste and not about the optics capability to be used in different scenarios.

The reason the 85mm/90mm length is so popular for portraiture is that it is a short Tele... and has a perspective flattening effect that is flattering to the subject.

Your 60mm is basically a normal length lens... and even with the 1.5 crop factor, the only thing that changes is the FOV... not the compression factor / distortion levels. So it is still a 60mm.... not a 90mm. It will have the same distortion / compression effects that any 60mm would have.

The Tamron 90mmm (that was suggested) would have had a much better perspective factor for portraiture, although the FOV on a crop would have been 135.

Does this make sense?

It is like using a 35.. on a crop sensor. FOV is is 54mm, but you still have the 35mm distortion that is inherent in the 35mm.... it does not act like a 54mm would.

This Image Shows How Camera Lenses Beautify or Uglify Your Pretty Face

Photography 101: Lens Length. » Patti Brown Photography

Capture Your Best ? Photography & Retouching » Blog Archive » Longer Lens = Flattering Portraits

Your 60 is fine for portraiture... really, but not because it has a 90mm FOV... which is my point.

I agree i think a 90-100 would work well on FF if i wanted a dual purpose lens, but i have a 70-200 2.8 i would most likely use over it for most work.

I think a 150mm will probably be useful for the instances i can get super close beyond the min focusing distance of my 500mm while out in the field doing mostly longer range stuff.

Lemme tell ya, go with the 150 or 180. You'll be upset in six months if you don't. If you don't want to hone your ninja skills to a point, then get a longer lens. I have the 90 and 150 and I use them on a D7000. I still ended up buying the 1.4x TC for the 150. That extra length is, as some women I know would say, awesome.

Most reactions

Back