Opinions on Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5

VltnDennis

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Any of u guys had any experience with this lens in terms of sharpness and performance compared to the sigma APO 70-300mm f/4.5

I'd love to hear about the answer, and is it 70-300mm also good for wedding poratits?

Go look at my post a few down from here "Purple flowers & nectar collectors." They're taken with the VR version of that lens. I love it.

Also, in the nature gallery, I've got a post up of herons taken with that lens. I love it, best $450 I've spent in a long time.

Here's the two I'm thinking of:

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...owers-nectar-collectors-why-i-need-macro.html
http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/nature-wildlife/177938-more-herons-comments-appreciated.html

Most of the wildlife photos on my photostream are with this lens.

No idea, but I don't know why you'd want a 300 with no VR. They say you can get 3 stops slower shutter speed with the VR and I believe it. Well worth the price difference, plus everything I've read, the optics on the non-VR version are not all that great.

I'll see if I can find the review for you.

Reason im asking is because i might be getting a sigma 70-300mm APO and that one has no VR either but i heard some great things about it

Reason im asking is because i might be getting a sigma 70-300mm APO and that one has no VR either but i heard some great things about it

If cost is pretty much set at the sub $200 range, go with the Sigma. From what I can see it's a pretty nice lens, plus has a 1:2 mode. The max reproduction on the nikon is 1:3.9.

If it's just a comparison situation, go with the VR. It is worth it.

If cost is pretty much set at the sub $200 range, go with the Sigma. From what I can see it's a pretty nice lens, plus has a 1:2 mode. The max reproduction on the nikon is 1:3.9.

If it's just a comparison situation, go with the VR. It is worth it.

im kinda stuck between the sigma or the nikon 55-200mm VR

i like the nikon well cause its nikon and it has VR but the sigma allows me to zoom in even further but does not have VR so i dont know which one will give me better results

I bought the 70-300mm VR last week. I had a chance to play with it over the weekend.

I was very impressed with the VR. It threw me off at first. When you're at 300mm you can see all of your the movement you are making. When you push the shutter button half way to focus...about 90% of the movement goes away.

I could get pretty sharp pictures hand held at 300mm. The VR is impressive. If you use it you will want it.

Try to find a shop in the area that will let you try it out. That's the best way to get a feel for it before you drop the $$$$.

Good luck.

I was very impressed with the VR. It threw me off at first. When you're at 300mm you can see all of your the movement you are making. When you push the shutter button half way to focus...about 90% of the movement goes away.

I could get pretty sharp pictures hand held at 300mm. The VR is impressive. If you use it you will want it.

I agree 100%, especially the bolded part.

And it does take some pretty sharp shots at 300mm. (Hand-held, 300mm, f/8, 1/160 sec.,ISO 200)

I agree thats a great lens but its out of my budget at the moment!

The non-VR versions(Sigma AND Nikkor) are a significant step down in IQ compared to the 70-300VR.

IMO this lens is one of Nikon's most under-rated and also one of their best for the price. Some have said that it lacks sharpness at the long end but I don't agree with this. I will post a few images later.

The non-VR versions(Sigma AND Nikkor) are a significant step down in IQ compared to the 70-300VR.

IMO this lens is one of Nikon's most under-rated and also one of their best for the price. Some have said that it lacks sharpness at the long end but I don't agree with this. I will post a few images later.

looking forward to this

Most reactions

Back